Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Physical Therapy and exercises

Posted by Barbara on 1/13/99 at 00:00 (003359)

Hi Elise: I just went to my orthopedic surgeon who says the same thing as your physical rehab dr. To try and get me motivated he is sending me for physical therapy for a month. I really have been having a hard time getting into the exercises. He too says this will work but it will take about 6 months. Also says he had pf for 3 years and this is what 'cured' him. He also sent me to a storefront called 'LaFoot' here in Berkeley to get some orthotics (not the hard plastic kind my podiatrist had me wear that did not work for me). I am glad to read that someone else is doing what I am supposed to be doing. This is a good motivator too. Thanks. Best, Barbara

Re: Physical Therapy and exercises

Deborah on 1/13/99 at 00:00 (003364)

What are the name of the orthotics that you bought? I've tried several
pairs of inserts and nothing has worked! I'm on my feet all day at work,
and I find if I bring an ice pack to work, and use it during my lunch hour it works. I also started a water aerobics class, and the next day my foot didn't hurt!

Barbara on 1/13/99 at 00:00 (003367)

Hi Deborah--I have not gotten them yet but the process by which my foot was measured was different--I stood on a pin hole board where the pins came up under the arch. This transfers to a computer which makes an exact image of your foot. The inserts are not the hard plastic I wore (at $400) which did nothing for me. I will find out what the name of them is when I pick them up on Tuesday and let you know here. They cost $190 but hopefully my insurance will cover most of this cost. I also don't know if they will help but am hopeful. I was told several times by the guy who owns the store that icing is a great relief because it reduces the inflammation. Will start this again also. So here's for a go at stretching and strengthening exercises, icing, new orthotics, and anti-inflammatories. This is my regimen for the next few months at least. I hope it works because today I am in quite a bit of pain and feeling very low. Best of luck to all in whatever you find works best.

Elise on 1/15/99 at 00:00 (003459)

My doctor is even more extreme than yours. He believes that orthotics are not necessary, and said that if I stick with his program, I will build up my feet muscles enough that I won't need orthotics. However, I am using soft orthotics in the meantime because they add a layer of cushion that I need!

Keep in touch, and good luck. I have been seeing this doctor for abaout 5 weeks so far, and have definitely made some progress.