Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortisone reason?

Posted by Nadine on 1/14/99 at 00:00 (003416)

hello again,

I am wondering the reasons behind the rather vehement oppostion to cortisone. Is it because of the negative steroidal causes, or the fact that it is unsuccessful.. or both. I had one injection, and it seems to have helped somewhat.... now.. with your ideas here, I am very skeptical to get another one. I value all of your opinions to the utmost, and thank you so so much for them. I still feel like a freak when people can't believe that a Dr. can't cure this.. do you all??

Re: Cortisone reason?

Roy on 1/14/99 at 00:00 (003418)

I have had 2 shots and they doing seem to help temporary;but to answer your other question you often wonder what someonelses opinion
would be more kinder or understandind if the were feeling your pain and frusration...................................................

suzy on 1/14/99 at 00:00 (003420)

Tuff one! I have had a couple shots and like roy said short term relief. I know that there are dangers to having more than a couple.
Good luck and stay positive!

Dayna on 1/14/99 at 00:00 (003427)

I had one shot, it was extremely painful and put the entire foot into agony for nearly two days, then on top of that it lasted just about two weeks and I was right back where I started, even though I had been wearing good shoes and inserts at all times. I do know that after a few shots a reputable doctor won't do any more.

Sylvia on 1/14/99 at 00:00 (003430)

I had Injections in both feet,relief only lasted about six weeks,I have not tried again.Doctors in U.K.normaly only give two shots.
Yes we don't have much luck here also!

Barbara on 1/14/99 at 00:00 (003431)

Well, I had one shot by my podiatrist which did not hurt but also offered no relief for me. Then when I switched to an orthopedic surgeon, he told me that there is a risk of total destruction of the heel pad itself from the cortisone with sometimes just one shot. He never gives cortisone shots in the heel for this reason. It seems that if the heel pad itself is destroyed you will have much more serious problems than pf which is serious enough! I do not know what the risk is (i.e. # of times this would happen per # of shots) but maybe your doctor would know. Good luck and I also feel your frustration and pain. Best, Barbara

Bea on 1/14/99 at 00:00 (003434)

The reason for my opposition to cortisone is there can be terrible side effects and it is only a stop gap measure & not a cure. There is a great risk. My mother took cortisone for arthritus years ago and had severe kidney problems due to it and there are many other possible side effects. If it were a cure I'd say Maybe take your chances but for some temporary relief it is a big chance to take.

Jennifer Carol on 1/14/99 at 00:00 (003436)

I had PF about 6 years ago due to aerobics and walking. My doctor used injections weekly .I did eventually get relief. The drug he used was Dexamethasone. It is not cortisone but a derivative there of. I recently developed PF again last spring after extended walking and I am again using weekly injections in both heels of the same drug.I do not have heel damage and in fact it is working. I started with the Daypro pills and I have orthotics for both feet. I do a lot of stretching,I use Ice packs when I'm painful. I am able to take walks a few times a week with out too much discomfort. I use a Nordic Track and weight lifting for indoor exercise. It has been 8 months now since I began the weekly injections. I have confidence in my doctors. They have been doing this treatment plan on patients for many years with a lot of success. Beleive me, I do still have my very painful moments. It is horrible when it's about to storm. But, all and all I am a lot better. This ailment tends to take over a year to heal. The shots can be murder some days, not so bad other days. I have read a lot of the comments here and I seem to be the only one who gets the shots so often. Does anyone else have a similiar story?