Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

re: Birks vs. Naots

Posted by Sharon H on 1/15/99 at 00:00 (003473)

I have worn Naots and think that my feet hurt more because of it. I am afraid to buy the Birks with that outlay of cash. Anyone out there find that Naots were bad and Birks good for your feet?

Re: re: Birks vs. Naots

Robin on 1/15/99 at 00:00 (003474)

Hi Sharon. I tried lots and lots of Naots on about 2-3 weeks before I bought my first pair of Birks. I couldn't find one that really felt quite right. I kind of limped along with a pair of Eastlands for a couple of weeks, like you -- concerned about the outlay of cash for Birkenstocks. Then, I went to the Birkenstock store. The lady there spent a lot of time fitting me correctly. She said sometimes people don't get fitted correctly; usually they buy a size or two too large and then the arch is in the wrong place -- and their feet hurt worse.

Anyway, I got the basic Arizonas like everyone else. $87 for the shoes, $5 for the cork revitalizer, $6 for the Nubuck leather spray -- total of $107 with tax. Sharon, it was the best $107 I ever spent. Still is. Until Birks, I was a typical PF hobbler and stumbler. Now, I walk slow but I don't hobble. I know Naots have a padded heel which may be desirable for many people; I think Birks have greater structure for the arch and heel. Anyway, they work for me. I bought my first pair on Jan. 7th, and have already ordered a 2nd pair over the 'Net. I really hate spending so much money for kind of homely shoes -- but I sure do like being able to walk a bit. (I bet if you buy them and don't like them -- somebody on this board would be willing to buy them from you at a small discount!)

Karen on 1/15/99 at 00:00 (003484)

I have Naots and am not impressed. I can't actually say they hurt my feet but they don't help them either. I do own birkenstocks and there is no comparison. I love birkenstocks. Buy them

angie on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003495)

If you buy Birks over the net from their website they offer a 60 day return policy. I ordered mine on Monday and got them on Friday. I wore them all day yesterday and they felt great. Towards about 10 pm I was feeling some consistent pain again - but the I'd been up on my feet for about 3 solid hours too.

Deborah on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003500)

What is the web-site address for Birkenstock? And what is the advantage of buying over the net vs. at a store?

Robin on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003509)

http://www.birkenstockexpress.com is a good website

This site has a full line of Birks at regular prices, plus some discontinued colors at sale prices. Deborah, if you haven't worn Birks before, may I suggest that (if you have a store near you) you buy your first pair at a Birkenstock store. (And bite the bullet of full price - yuch.) At a good Birk store, they can fit you properly. I normally take a size 9 or 9.5 -- so I thought I would take about a 40 in European sizing. But I am wearing a Birk size 38 VERY comfortably. I was told if you buy too large a shoe, your arch can end up in the wrong place and your foot may hurt worse than now.

Austin on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003519)

I bought the Birks and my pain became MUCH worse. I have had 3 pair of orthodics made over they years (I've been suffering for about 15 years off and on)...but the orthodics didn't help at all....and caused numbness in my toes. For some reason the pain has been terrible for about the past 6 weeks. I had cortizone injections....helped for about 3 days. I can barely walk now....forget exercising. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mary D on 1/19/99 at 00:00 (003649)

Keep your Naots and purchase Birk inserts. They cost about $40 and they can be placed in any shoe, making them a birk like shoe. You can order them online or in your local store. Like others, you should be properly fitted and you will once again love your shoes AND your feet.
happy feet to you - Mary D