Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What to do now??

Posted by CJ on 1/15/99 at 00:00 (003485)

Well, it has been many months, with all kinds of therapy, casts, bandages, and now orthotics. None of which has done one thing in helping the pain in my foot. I also have had the cortisone shots, which did do some good, for about a day.
The last bandage I had on, I broke out in a rash and blisters within one day. What good luck I have.
Now it is a waiting game. The orthotics are not helping as much as I had hoped, so the next step is surgery.
If anyone had surgery, did it help for very long? Or is it something you go back and forth on? I will just be having the ligament cut in my arch, a 15 minute proceedure, but 3 months down time.
I will take anyone's help or suggestions.
Thanks in advance

CJ

Re: What to do now??

Bea on 1/15/99 at 00:00 (003487)

Please read the board before you have any surgury. There is much info here that will help you.; Be very wqry of surgury/

Alicia on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003496)

I also recommend reading the messages on the board before opting for any kind of surgery. It is not the way to go from what I can see. I have PF in both feet, EXCRUCIATING in the last four months. (I've had it on and off for 8 years.) I would never consider having the surgery, and I'm pretty miserable. Good luck.

Sally T. on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003503)

CJ, I had similar surgery to what you mention. My surgery was in June of '98 and it was not a complete success. My doctor says it's as good as it's going to get. I still have pain and cannot be on my feet for very long. The surgery site swells EVERY day. Have you tried taking glucosomine sulfate? Lots of people on this board swear by it. Give it a try and read other posts. Good luck!

CJ on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003512)

I have been reading the boards. Surgery is really the last thing I want to do, but I have been in so much pain, that I was willing to give anything more a try.
Went shopping today for just alittle over an hour, and you would have thought I had been out all day long.
Didn't think I would ever make it out of the grocery store without crying, but I did.
We have so much snow and ice under it right now, that it is terrible trying to get out for any reason.
I simply had to go to the grocery. I had put it off for more than ten days, and I usually have to go at least every other day.
Thanks for all the help.
CJ

Nadine on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003518)

I have had PF for well over a year, and I do know your pain. My orthopedic doctor refuses to give me any surgery
He said that it just complicates things furthur, and there are absolutely no guarantees that it will work, in fact he said most case studies proved that it didn't. I think many of us know your pain, and some have had to quit working. Hang in there. I am really going to look into the ossatron in this country of USA. I was wondering how many people have had the ultrasound treatment done. My guess is that it is not successful. Good Luck.. We truly share you pain.

diana on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003520)

I had the surgery on my right foot 4 years ago on a Friday and back to work 4 days later. I had some minimal amount of pain on the side of my foot about a year later (I understand this has been a problem, and the reason they stopped doing the surgery so much). However, the pain is gone now, and was certainly nothing like the heel pain. I am considering the surgery in my left foot now, as I had such wonderful relief on the other side. Good luck to you.

Sandy in Utah on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003526)

CJ: I Had bilateral pf release on both feet on December 29th of 98 and am doing great
(That is the cut...a 15 minute, $1400.00 procedure) Yesterday I was able to walk 1/4 mile and feel some tenderness but not a lot. Some pain on the outside of my feet, but this is to be expected, as I am favoring the outside of my foot to the inside. I am wearing shoes, orthodics and the only real pain I have is standing for more than a minute or so. I ice every night, massage my feet vigoriously in the evening and morning and have been very happy that I made this decision. I suffered for a ridiculous 4 years
and am now sick that so much time was wasted hurting. I don't know why you think you will have 3 months down time, that seems like a long time to me. Strapping, shots, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, water baths, boots, orthodics did not help. If you have tried everything, do the surgery. I have had very good luck and am delighted at the results so far. I think that the massage has been the trick! It hurts so good!

Re: What to do now?? Nadine

Sandy in Utah on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003528)

Hi Nadine. I have had the ultrasound treatments and it was a total waste of my Drs. time and my money. I seemed to just aggravate the already tender area. I'm very happy with my surgery. Try aggressive massage with ice. My brother in law played pro football and swears by it. My problem was to far gone for it to be effective for me. Good luck!

suzy on 1/17/99 at 00:00 (003539)

CJ,
I think you have to do whats right for you and everybodys recovery is diffrent. I am on my seond surgery and it took about 6 months for total healing time the first time. When we are wanting are old life back we will try anything. Good Luck and hope all goes well for you!

Re: What to do now??.....Sandy

DaNita on 1/17/99 at 00:00 (003554)

I have had the surgery 3 times and my down time as you call it has been 2&1/2 yrs. It totally screwed up my foot and just made it worse.Sandy, Glad you had such great luck but it doesn't work for everyone.

Lynne on 1/21/99 at 00:00 (003705)

I am just wondering what kind of treatment you went thru before your surgery. I was told in May of 98 I had pf. I have had tapeing, cortizone shots, drugs and now I have a ski boot to try and relief the pain. My doctor said when I go back in 2 weeks if I was not better he was going to try a cast. Did you go thru all of this and most important did you go to a podiatrist or a orthopedist? I am now going to a podiatrist but I am considering a orthopedist. I would be greatful for your responce as I am getting very frustrated. I do not know how you put up with this for 4 year. Fed up in NC