Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Exercise, anyone find anything that's working???

Posted by Deborah on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003502)

I have just found this message board a few days ago, and I'm finding it very useful. However, no one mentions exercise. I was an avid walker, found that I could not walk before work, or else I'd be in severe pain. After work, forget it! I just wanted to come home and stay off my feet
However, I've just joined the local YMCA, and have been doing water aerobics (very non-stressful) and a bicycle spinning class. I have been waking up feeling great! Has anyone had any luck with other types of exercise. I have a very active husband, and it's frustrating that I can't participate with him. I've also started snow-shoeing this year (when we get the snow!)
Any suggestions are welcomed!

Re: Exercise, anyone find anything that's working???

Cathy on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003506)

I recommend deep water running with a Speedo flotation belt..Very intense and biomechanically similar to running.Weight training is great.You can fashion a circuit alternating fast spinning intervals between sets[or fast walking.]

BillC on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003510)

I am climbing stairs at work 2 - 3 times a day. 24 flights. This does not cause the pain that walking does. Try the stair machine at the Y.

Chrissy on 1/16/99 at 00:00 (003517)

I found that biking is good and some treadmill for walking. Also I have increased my weight training. Stair climbing and similar activities put strain on my foot. I guess you have to try something for a few minutes and see how it does for you, everyone is different.

Alicia on 1/17/99 at 00:00 (003545)

Stationary bike (recumbent and regular) is the only thing I can do without major pain. I haven't tried the water stuff, because I'm not a water person. May have to resort to it at some point. I cannot imagine that anyone with PF can do any kind of weight bearing exercise - some of these follow ups mention stairs, walking on a treadmill, etc. I can't do any of that without hurting. The bike puts some pressure on my feet, but doesn't compound it with my body weight. I'm doing 30 minutes, 5-6 times per week and still trying to do lots of upper body work - pushups, light weights, etc. Good luck.

Elise on 1/18/99 at 00:00 (003563)

I couldn't have said it better! For the past week, I have been trying out various exercise bikes - 15 minutes/day, and have not had any setbacks, so I am going to buy one. I found the windmill one someone else suggested was the best for me because I can use my arms to take some of the pressure off my feet. I agree that I couldn't imagine doing any kind of weight bearing exercise at this point. Doing grocery shopping without the motorized cart was a huge milestone for me last week

Rick on 1/18/99 at 00:00 (003570)

Another really good cardiovascular workout without the foot pounding is a rowing machine. Also, have found roller blading (either the real thing, or there is a machine that emulates the motion) is good, and does not require that the foot be flexed to a significant degree.

There's also swimming, although many PF sufferers find it painful to be barefooted. There is virtually no stress on the foot in swimming. Other water activities already mentioned include water aerobics, water 'jogging' and simply treading water.