Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstock and other shoes

Posted by Ben on 1/18/99 at 00:00 (003580)

Have had pf for almost 5 years and have tried everything from physio,
cortosone shots(twice),brace,various drugstore inserts, 4 different sets of orthotics (averaging $ 350.00 per set), stretching excercises and accupressure.
This is my first exposure to this site and it was very helpful.I am scheduled for a bonescan and the doctor then wants me to decide whether I am prepared to live with my apparent chronic problem or want to be operated upon. I have hesitated thus far to have an operation and reading this site has confirmed that I will have to think about it carefully.It appears that my problem is not as severe as others. I have a constant ache which flares up frequently ,particularly when I am on my feet or walk( both of which I have to do in my job as teacher!).I wear mainly Rockports and Birkenstock sandals at home. I have recently bought $ 250.00 Clarkes but have not found any relief from them.I also bought a second set of Birkenstock's but have found them uncomfortable. I now realize that I may not have been exposed to the full range of Birkenstock's and would like to consider them .
I would love to hear what suggestions there may be other than the ones already posted. Also does anyone know of a store in Vancouver Canada which has a more extensive line than a few sandals.I am hesitant to buy shoes over the net but may have to consider this. What about Mephisto? I have almost bought a pair but did not want to add to my unused collection in my closet.
Ben

Re: Birkenstock and other shoes

alex on 1/18/99 at 00:00 (003582)

I find Mephistos very good, but very expensive. They do last forever. I also have a pair of Dansko clogs which I like a lot - but don't try moving too fast on them! I have a pair of New Balance sneakers which I use for playing an occasional round of golf. I also wear Birkenstock sandals at home - very relaxing on my foot. I haven't tried Birkenstock shoes or inserts. I wore SAS shoes for years. Extremely comfortable, BUT it was while wearing them that my PF developed! Incidentally, I have high arches and very wide feet - both of which, I think have contributed to the PF. Maybe being 6'5' and 225lbs hasn't helped either!

Robin on 1/18/99 at 00:00 (003583)

Hi Ben. I have had PF for less than a year, am finding moderate success with Birkenstocks, certainly more than other shoes. If you feel you have been fitted correctly for Birk sizes, I'd give 'em a shot over the 'Net. I have -- am waiting for my 2nd pair to arrive any day now. I haven't tried it but I understand that Tony's http://www.shoetree.com site (I think based in Canada too) has Birks and is very easy/helpful to work with. My third pair of Birks will probably be an enclosed shoe style -- sandals are nice but I think the true test is an enclosed shoe. Mephistos get good marks on this board, Ecco too to some extent. How about a Birk arch support for your Clarkes?

Am glad you are temporarily postponing surgery. A few people on this board HAVE been helped a lot by it -- but more have posted against it. Alex and some others swear by acupuncture. Have you tried that? That may be in the cards for me down the road a bit. I'm just starting to explore it now.

Sirin on 1/18/99 at 00:00 (003590)

I've tried Stegmann clog as well as Olsson clog. They both have helped tremendously (see my post down below). I'm still waiting for my first pair of Birks to arrive in the mail.

Fred on 1/20/99 at 00:00 (003673)

Te Birkenstock solution can be an excellent one if you 1) purchase their sized shoe inserts, and 2) use Scott's older taping technique at night. The inserts are far less expensive ($65-70) than the shoes and sandals. A very big advantage is that they can be transferred among different pairs of your existing shoes, enabling the use of the same 'solution' consistently. And since treatment includes never walking around barefoot, the inserts should always be used in slippers. Also, taping at night will give a big boost. Use Scott's older technique of running one or two taught strips of wide athletic tape from the outside-to-inside of the ankle bone, under the arch and just in front of your heel. Success will come with some patience and consistent use of the inserts and taping for several days. If you have problems locating the inserts, call toll free to Greg Agee, C.Ped., at Birkenstock Footprints, in Carmel, CA (800-625-2770). He can arrange to fit you by telephone and fax, and he'll direct ship the correctly sized arches to you. This approach works.

Fred on 1/20/99 at 00:00 (003674)

The Birkenstock solution can be an excellent one if you 1) purchase their sized shoe inserts, and 2) use Scott's older taping technique at night. The inserts are far less expensive ($65-70) than the shoes and sandals. A very big advantage is that they can be transferred among different pairs of your existing shoes, enabling the use of the same 'solution' consistently. And since treatment includes never walking around barefoot, the inserts should always be used in slippers. Also, taping at night will give a big boost. Use Scott's older technique of running one or two taught strips of wide athletic tape from the outside-to-inside of the ankle bone, under the arch and just in front of your heel. Success will come with some patience and consistent use of the inserts and taping for several days. If you have problems locating the inserts, call toll free to Greg Agee, C.Ped., at Birkenstock Footprints, in Carmel, CA (800-625-2770). He can arrange to fit you by telephone and fax, and he'll direct ship the correctly sized arches to you. This approach works.

Diane F. on 1/20/99 at 00:00 (003685)

Fred, the inserts are great but the sandals are still better for me, sometimes I my feet get tired and hurt even with the inserts and they do not feel right in any shoe, you have to try a few. If I could just wear the sandal :) but live up north and need shoes, so the inserts help me with that. Taping did not work for me, icing either,heat and the sandal and some stretching seem to work.