Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Weight loss?

Posted by Megan on 1/18/99 at 00:00 (003587)

I have notice that several recommendations of doctors is that weight loss will help relieve the pain of PF. Has anyone found this to be true? I realize I need to lose the weight for other reasons, but if it will help the PF than it is even more incentive to lose it.

Re: Weight loss?

Alicia on 1/18/99 at 00:00 (003593)

Megan: Weight loss would certainly help just for common sense reasons, less weight, less pressure on the feet. A reasonable weight makes anyone healthier (not skinny - just reasonable). BUT, I have never been overweight and my PF is horrible. There are many people who have PF who have not been overweight. Maybe you'll hear from someone who has been overweight and lost some - good luck.

Barbara on 1/19/99 at 00:00 (003628)

Hi Megan: I too am overweight and have been losing. Have lost about 16 lbs and have reached a plateau of sorts--haven't lost any more (or gained either) for about 4 weeks. I have not found any relief from pf with this weight loss and have been told by my doctor that while one of the causes of pf can be weight gain, it does not follow that losing weight will cause the pf to go away. But, losing weight can't hurt! Good luck--best, Barbara

Shelby on 1/19/99 at 00:00 (003635)

Megan, I'm sure that weight loss would probably help. But my problem is that I have gained an enormous amount of weight because I'm so inactive because my feet hurt so bad. So, mine started when I was not overweight.

eta on 1/19/99 at 00:00 (003646)

I like several others was not only not overweight but in fairly good shape since I did aerobics 3-4 times a week. Only 30 mins each day starting out lite and working up to two heavy then back to light with I didn't think was too much especially to have caused this problem. I suffered with it for 6 months trying to work through the pain. Then when the other foot started hurting also, that's when I went to the dr and had to give up the aerobics. Now I am worried about the weight gain that may come. But again, thanks to advice I have read on here I am starting to feel hopeful. good luck
elaine

Dayna on 1/20/99 at 00:00 (003657)

I agree, I had this at 120 lbs, 132 lbs, 140 lbs, 155 lbs, 170 lbs and whatever I am now (don't really want to know). I haven't noticed it got any worse with the weight, nor did it get better when I lost weight. Best advice is not to starve yourself to lose weight, that's what caused my problem, advised by a doctor no less when exercise and sensible eatting didn't do it. It has been verified that a caloric intake of 800 calories a day is enough to cause me to gain weight (and you can't get enough nutrients without heavy supplements). I do my best to eat a lot of bulk for those calories so I'm not hungry all the time, but it's not always easy, my advice is don't start. BTW, my mother weighed over 250 lbs, was 5'3', had almost no arch and while she did have sore feet sometimes, she never developed PF.

jill on 1/21/99 at 00:00 (003700)

Hi Barbara:

I too am an overweight sufferer of PF. Congrats of you weight loss progress
I just wanted to jot you a note to let you know that i have read a couple of books and your plateau youve reached is an excellent sign
You havent been losing any weight lately because your body is adjusting - very common sign. You will kick right through this barrier and when you do, your metabolism will be higher. . .I got PF before I gained weight .. .still can't work out much because of my pain. . .And I dont lose weight unless I am working out steadily. . .Lowering intake of food does nothing but make me hungry.
Best of luck to you and congrats

Barbara on 1/21/99 at 00:00 (003702)

Hello Jill, I was thrilled to get your encouraging note. Thanks so much and best of luck to you to. Barbara

Susan on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003755)

Okay, ladies, head for the water. Find an indoor pool and do water exercises. Start a class. Look on the internet for water exercises. I feel great afterwards and it can be a great work out without hurting your feet. You may need to wear shoes in the pool with your orthotics, but do it. Do not give in
!