Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel spur or calcium deposit?

Posted by Cara on 1/19/99 at 00:00 (003620)

I received some advice on my problem...( pain in the back of my heel), but I don't know if it is a calcium deposit or a heel spur. I don't know the difference between the two. I'm pretty sure I don't have pf, because the pain is near my achilles tendon and not on the bottom of my foot. It is a small area and it is very sore to the touch. Sometimes when I am looking for it it takes a while to find. But I know it when I find it....very painful. Nothing shows on my heel.. Except I noticed if I put my foot up on a stair and lean forward, I can see a little light colored area right where it hurts.... Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Re: heel spur or calcium deposit?

Bea on 1/19/99 at 00:00 (003650)

I definately have calcium deposits on my achilles heel. Both heel spurs and calcium deposits will show up on xrays. I have very painful days the a.m. is tough getting out of bed until I stretch it a bit and am only able to be on my feet for about an hour befoe the pain gets really intense. Ice helps, & it is usually tender to the touch.

Re: heel spur or calcium deposit?

Melody on 1/21/99 at 00:00 (003707)

Bea, I am new to the internet & excited to learn that so many people
have the same problem. I've had my heel spur less than a year & am
learning it's something I should try to learn to live with. Getting
out of bed was terrible, I had to stand for a few seconds before I
could move. Antiinflammatories have helped. Looking forward to
hearing from you.