Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heal spurs and walking the appalachian trail

Posted by Halfpint on 1/20/99 at 00:00 (003658)

I am a sectional hiker of the appalachian trail. Each summer I do 6 weeks on each section, and hope to finish in another 5 years. The problem is that this last winter I developed heal spurs and unable to work out inorder to stay fit for my next section. I have had the shots and the custom insoles but am worried about having a flair up on the trail. Any suggestions to what else can be done is welcomed. No matter what happens I will be on the trail this summer completing Virginia even if I have to crawl.

Re: heal spurs and walking the appalachian trail

BillC on 1/20/99 at 00:00 (003667)

Hello Halfpint,

I am also an AT hiker. I have done about 550 miles of the AT doing section hiking. On my last hike to Burkes Garden Vir. I developed some pretty bad pain in my heel. Actually it started a day or two before but very bad the last day. This was Sept 19, 1998 and I have had PF problem ever since. I cant walk 1 mile without a good bit of pain afterwards. I hope to do some more hiking this spring but I am not going to crawl if my PF isn't better. I found that I can tolerate walking stairs and I work in a building that has 24 floors. so I get some opportunity. Read all the stuff here on this message board. There are some really good tips. God Bless you and good luck.

Daytripper

alex on 1/20/99 at 00:00 (003670)

One piece of advice which I have found to be very important. Don't think that you can 'walk through' the pain. Been there done that - makes it worse for weeks/months to come
!

Bea on 1/20/99 at 00:00 (003677)

Very good advice given to you however realize this is not an injury this is a weakness that you may always have. You must respect the facvt that you have to be careful or you can limit yourself for the rest of your life.

shugga on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003759)

Have you tried good suportive shoes with the heel being at least an inch higher than the sole? Please give Glucosamine sulfate with chondroitin a try. Take 1 - 500 mg tablet three times a day with meals. This takes about a month or more to see results but I swear this is what 'cured' my PF. Been PF free for a year, back to walking,and standing at work all day, and aerobics several times a week. It is expensive but worked for me! I still take 2 tablets a day, and never wear cheap, flat shoes anymore.