Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Myofascial Release

Posted by Alicia on 1/20/99 at 00:00 (003678)

Went for my second session of Myofascial Release today. During the session the Physical Therapist discovered that I had a posterior pelvic tilt. This is throwing most of my weight onto my heels when I stand. He focused on this during the therapy session with several release techniques and at end of session, when I stood up, my weight felt more evenly distributed on my feet. I don't expect this to magically cure the PF, but I do feel that the weight is not entirely on my heels now. Verdict is out, but I am going back again next week. Anybody have any thoughts?

Re: Myofascial Release

Randy Cole on 3/06/99 at 00:00 (005305)

I have been undergoing myofascial release therapy 3x a week, now on third week. I have chronic cervical and lumbar pain. Cervical fusion. I am finding a lot of changes starting to take place. But I have to say, some of the deep tissue work is exceedingly painful. But many years of knotted, shortened fascia is hard to change overnight. It is starting to loosen up. But consistency of effort is the key.

Alicia on 12/30/98 at 00:00 (002949)

Just to say that I had a form of massage therapy today by a physical therapist trained in myofascial release. It sounds a little like the therapy your MD used with you, only not invasive - just deep massage. At this point, I'm skeptical, because nothing has really worked, but I'm going to try it a couple of more times before making a judgment. I've also had the PF for about 8 years and it is unbearable at this point. I'll try to let you know how this therapy does for me.

Alicia on 6/16/99 at 00:00 (007875)

Sorry took so long to respond. Myofascial Release is a form of physical therapy that works on the premise that the fascia that covers every part of your body (under skin and over bones, ligaments, tendons) can be massaged and 'released' to help the body be in a more appropriate alignment. Often, injuries that leave scars are said to cause the fascia to 'pull' into one area and a domino effect occurs, causing tightness that may pull the body out of alignment. It's a very pleasant therapy and relaxing. It was helpful to me, but not a cure.

suzi on 1/20/99 at 00:00 (003682)

Alicia, this sounds similar to the message I posted about my chiropractor adjusting my hips and and sacrum. I find that the days I have my hips, sacrum and back adjusted are the days my feet feel the best
It has taken me many years to come to this place, looking somewhere else for my heel pain instead of my feet.

Re: Myofascial Release, upper body

Helen on 1/21/99 at 00:00 (003693)

Hi, just found this board today. Last April I had to give up running because of pf. I was led to a massage therapist/body structuralist (?) who said that my problem originates in my outer hip muscle. She diagnosed this by looking at my knees. When I stand on both feet in my normal stance, my right knee 'looks' to the left and my left knee 'looks' to the right. You can see this easily by looking at self in mirror. She said that your knees should 'look' straight out over your foot. Then she had me squeeze my buttocks together. Lo and behold, my knees realigned themselves over my feet. I was given a series of exercises to strengthen my outer hip muscles and was told to pay attention to my standing and walking posture (i.e., keep buttocks squeezed - this will become more natural in time). As a lousy forced exercizer, I have not been faithful to the exercises but I do try to work on my posture when I stand and walk and I find a lot of relief in doing that. I wear orthodics in Clark's shoes - had to give up my tennies. And have been told to wear only shoes that lace up or tighten up over the top of the foot. The Clarks plus orthos has been wonderful..

Susan on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003750)

Could someone please explain this to me?

Randy Cole on 3/06/99 at 00:00 (005305)

I have been undergoing myofascial release therapy 3x a week, now on third week. I have chronic cervical and lumbar pain. Cervical fusion. I am finding a lot of changes starting to take place. But I have to say, some of the deep tissue work is exceedingly painful. But many years of knotted, shortened fascia is hard to change overnight. It is starting to loosen up. But consistency of effort is the key.

Alicia on 6/16/99 at 00:00 (007875)

Sorry took so long to respond. Myofascial Release is a form of physical therapy that works on the premise that the fascia that covers every part of your body (under skin and over bones, ligaments, tendons) can be massaged and 'released' to help the body be in a more appropriate alignment. Often, injuries that leave scars are said to cause the fascia to 'pull' into one area and a domino effect occurs, causing tightness that may pull the body out of alignment. It's a very pleasant therapy and relaxing. It was helpful to me, but not a cure.