Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Had PF surgery November 30, 1998

Posted by Milton Bradford on 1/21/99 at 00:00 (003689)

I am glad I have found this page, and am looking forward to share my experience with others. I am almost 2 months into my surgery and I have mixed feelings to its effectiveness at this point. I had the older type of surgery where no scope was used but a direct incision approximately 2 inches long into the side of my heel. The doctor told me that he 3/4 servered the plantar fascia. I previously had chronic heel pain for almost 2 years and went through all the conservative treatments without success. Finally, I relented and had the surgery. My heel is still sore but in a slightly different way. I still have pain in the morning but not as intense or as long. I am hoping that this is a part of the healing process that is still taking place. I really want to run again the 6 miles every other day. If you have had previous surgery similar to mines please share results. Thank you

Re: Had PF surgery November 30, 1998

DaNita on 1/21/99 at 00:00 (003696)

I hope your surgery heels well for you. Everyone is different. I had the tyep of surgery you are talking about with no luck. I had a second one they called a stiner stripping they realese all the muscles across the heel. I didn't have any good results with that either. I have only gotten worse. But I know of others who have gotten better and some not. Good Luck to you!

Sally T. on 1/21/99 at 00:00 (003699)

I had the same surgery you had on June 11, 1998. My doctor also worked on my tarsal nerve. My pain, also, is not as intense in the morning but if I am standing too long at one time, it still hurts. My incision site still swells every night and I massage it and ice it. I thought it would much better than it is, but I guess this is as good as it's going to get. My problem is that the other foot is now painful and I don't really want to have surgery on it. Yes, my surgical foot does feel slightly better but I don't think enough so that I would have surgery again. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I may reconsider if it gets too bad. I just want to be able to walk again. Am very depressed being cooped up in the house for almost a year now. I hope your recovery goes very well. Please keep us posted.

MIMI on 1/21/99 at 00:00 (003701)

I had surgery three months ago and yesterday was the best day I've had in the last year and a half. I think that my dr. went into my heel on the left and came out of the right. She used a scope and then cut the fascia. I am taking a medication called DAYPRO which had made a siginificant improvement since I started taking it last week. I was in some pain but my dr. said it was because I was shifting my weight. I had tried all the other methods but none worked for me. I feel much better.

scott on 1/21/99 at 00:00 (003703)

I wouldn't take too much daypro for too long. It's bad on the digestive system.

Megan on 1/21/99 at 00:00 (003706)

Glad to hear that the Daypro works for someone. Dr. had me on it for 21 days with absolutely no relief. After reading some of the stuff I have found here and also learning in my college biology test that NSAIDS cause ulcers and intestinal damage, I am really hesitant to take them. I have been on a NASAID of some sort or another for the last 60 days and they just don't seem to help.

Marie on 1/21/99 at 00:00 (003710)

I had surgery done on Jan 13.Also the old way, but with full release and removal of heel spur on right foot. DR. said this way had a little better results than EPF. Still sore, I expected that, but front of foot feels unsteady. Still, it hasn't been that long and am trying to think positive. I have gotten some good advice about vitamins and supplements that some say have helped by reading the posts here. If all goes well, I will have left foot done asap. Like someone said before...I just want to get back to normal. In the past year I have put on about 25 lb due to inactivity which is kind of depressing in itself, but also makes the condition worse. I have a stationary bike and have read mixed theories on this. Anyway, the stiches come out tomarrow and will get Dr.s opinion on that.

Re: Had PF surgery Jan 13

Marie on 1/21/99 at 00:00 (003712)

I had surgery done on Jan 13.Also the old way, but with full release and removal of heel spur on
right foot. DR. said this way had a little better results than EPF. Still sore, I expected that, but
front of foot feels unsteady. Still, it hasn't been that long and am trying to think positive. I have
gotten some good advice about vitamins and supplements that some say have helped by reading
the posts here. If all goes well, I will have left foot done asap. Like someone said before...I just
want to get back to normal. In the past year I have put on about 25 lb due to inactivity which is
kind of depressing in itself, but also makes the condition worse. I have a stationary bike and have
read mixed theories on this. Anyway, the stiches come out tomarrow and will get Dr.s opinion on
that.
port42.mico03.tir.com 23:07:50

MIMI on 1/21/99 at 00:00 (003713)

Thanks for the advise. I'm going to stop taking it tomorrow. My dr. said to stop when the pain subsided and it has. I just couldn't take naproxen anymore - it was killing my stomach and doing much for the pain.

Milton Bradford on 1/22/99 at 00:00 (003719)

I thank you all for your response. I have had to live a sedentary lifestyle and it has cause me to gain 35 pounds in the last year. I have tried to eat low-fat but you can't replace running 6 miles every other day with just a change in eating habits. I guess it is part genetics -- my family is large. Today my foot is feeling better and it continues as I ice it up. However, I know which one is defective--it is just so slow in healing.

Melody on 1/22/99 at 00:00 (003743)

Marie-what did you find out from the Dr. about the stationary bike?
I am interested-because I am gaining weight. Thank you! Melody

Susan on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003748)

Stationary bike is okay but try the kind where you pedal horizontal to your body instead of down. The best exercise I have found is water aerobics. If there isn't a class, just get in a pool and basicaly do the same exercises (except the one laying down) that you would do in land aerobics. Also, deep massage your feet.

Susan on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003749)

How did the Dr. work on your tarsal nerve?

Melody on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003778)

Thanks for the ideas! That does make sense about the bike-thank you.
Water aerobic weather is around the corner also-so I will have to try
that. Blessings to you-Melody