Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Shoes for Orthotics

Posted by Sue on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003763)

I was fitted with Birkenstock insert orthotics yesterday. Now I need to get shoes. SAS Freetime seem to fit, but I'm concerned that they may be too soft of a sole. I have found a pair of Mephisto's I really like on sale for 1/2 price but some people have said they are not that
good. Any comments on New Balance 586 tennis shoes? Should I get clogs? The nurse who fitted me said plantar fasciitis only hurts in the morning and when you rise from sitting. I have pain whenever I walk.

Bea on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003765)

I'll bet the nurse never had pf. It does hurt all the time, just worst(usually) in the a.m.

CrabbyAss2 on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003779)

My PF hurts 24 hours a day also. No one is an expert on this condition, otherwise there would be a definite treatment for it. I hope you told the nurse that you are having pain all the time and not just when rising in the am. The nurse must be new to this.

Robin on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003783)

Sue, when you got your Birkenstock inserts, did you not bring with you the shoes or pairs of shoes you want to use them with??? When I bought my first pair of Birks (at a Birkenstock store), the saleslady who fitted me told me that if I wanted to pursue the inserts, I should bring in at least one or two pairs of shoes I thought I would want to put them in and she would help me with them. How is it that a nurse fitted you for a Birkenstock insert? Maybe you could call her and tell her you would like her to work with you AND your shoes??

Anyway -- as I'm sure you have read from this board -- the people who know best about WHEN plantar fasciitis hurts are the people who have it -- and many of us hurt much more than just in the morning. If it was just in the morning -- don't know about anyone else, but my worries would be over.

Sue on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003793)

When I visited the physician for the first time in Dec., she (the doctor) loved the Clarks desert boot with a 1 inch crepe sole that I
bought that day. I have worn them consistently for two months and my
PF is just as bad. I actually think the soft sole may have caused more harm than good. The nurse yesterday put the Birk inserts in the Clark boots. I am looking for a lighter shoe, but not a tennis shoe to put the inserts in. Any suggestions? I am concerned the SAS Freetime is too soft.