Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

WOW, I'm not alone!

Posted by Kathy on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003787)

I knew you could find a lot of info on the net, but this is one of the best places I found. It's nice to know I am not alone in this journey. I have been treated for foot pain for the past year or so with very little progress. I did the taping...I did the cortisone injections (a particularly sadistic approach to pain relief!)...I did the ultrasound...I did the orthotics...and I am currently using the Night Splint with very little relief. The next step is surgery, but my job requires me to stand 8 hours a day, with lots of lifting and bending. Am I subjecting myself to a surgical procedure that will not provide long term relief under these circumstances? I am 36 years old and do not intend to retire soon, and the prospects of landing a job that pays while sitting are slim to none. Any suggestions?

Re: WOW, I'm not alone!

Sue on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003789)

I just found this site 3 days ago. What orthotics did you use? Any particular shoes that you liked?

Kathy on 1/23/99 at 00:00 (003795)

I have been using my orthotics for appox. 6 months now. they bring some relief, but not as much as I would like. I'm really not sure what they are called but they are made by Ruch labs, they were custom fit at my podiatrists office (actually one of the nicer procedures I've had!) They cover about 3/4 of my foot and are stiff plastic covered with leather. There is a small padded section where the actual spur is. I did go out and buy New Balance Cross-Trainers as per my pod's advice. I wear them while I am not at work, but at work I have to wear steel-toed work boots. They have an advantage over a flat shoe, but I really can't see any marked improvment over a regular running shoe. I haven't tried the Birks that everyone talks about here, but I think I'm going to give it a try!

scott on 1/24/99 at 00:00 (003818)

From what you've said, I wouldn't get the surgery. Since standing all day is the cause of your pain, cushioned shoes with good arch support and maybe heel pad and definately good tape is the way to go. Stop the splint. Since you stand all day, stretching is less likely to be needed. Don't climb stairs.

suzi on 1/24/99 at 00:00 (003827)

Kathy, did you get your orthodics from peachtree podiatry in Atlanta by any chance?????
suzi

Kathy on 1/24/99 at 00:00 (003831)

Nope, I got mine in cold, snowy, Buffalo, NY. Do you have the same kind?

Dayna on 1/25/99 at 00:00 (003856)

Unfortunately no, you are not alone. Fortunately, you found a group of people who understand what you're going through and really support whatever you're feeling as a result of your PF. I found this board when my 'good' foot, the one that had never had any problems, all of the sudden became extremely painful. I'd been doing everything right, thought I could keep it from coming back if I was a good girl and wore my orthotics all the time, wrong. I was so scared and angry, this board saved my sanity and helped me put things into perspective. I'm ok now, most days I barely know it's there, but I know that if it gets bad again I can come here for support and help. I agree, my one cortizone shot was 100 times worse than the PF it was supposed to cure, and it didn't last 2 weeks anyway. That's not the answer.

What kind of work do you do that you have to stand and lift 8 hours a day? Can you change careers? Can you get disability and/or workers comp and then get into an approved re-training program for a less foot-strenuous job? I'm afraid that might be your only option if the surgery does not work, and even if it does continuing the same activity that aggravates the PF is likely to keep aggravating it. Unfortunately, PF changes your whole lifestyle, it really should be an acknowledged disability just like arthritis.

Keep reading the board, and go back through the previous messages for ideas. There's a lot of history here, don't get overwhelmed, just scan for subject lines and read selectively. We're here to help, keep us informed about your progress, we do care.

Re: WOW, I'm not alone! - me neither

Jenny Lewis on 1/28/99 at 00:00 (004011)

A week ago I head never even heard of spurs, except the boring kinds in Westerns, which I never liked anyway. Two days ago the doctor said I had one, and in the past few days I have discovered my late grandmother had them, a relative of a friend had something similar in her arm(??? is that possible?) and 5 minutes ago my boss told me that his wife had them, and hers went away 'after a while'. I intend to call and find out more.

I was MOST depressed when the doctor said there is absolutely nothing to be done, and prescribed some anti-inflammatory tablets. He also said that the occasional pain in the hands that I get in the mornings, which I sked about at the same time, thinking they might be related, is the early stages of arthritis. I'm a potter by passion, and a secretary by day job (to pay the bills) and really do NOT want to hear that. I got over the shock and initial depression and started on trying to find out more. A colleague suggested the web (I'm a computer-phobe, so never even thought of that!) and suddenly, there you all are. So - greetings to fellow footsore folks out there (where?) - from England, overlooking Regents Park in London.

I wasn't too impressed with the doctor's unhelpful information, so am trying to find out what I can. Would diet help? is my first thought. I am definitely a bit overweight at the moment and will happily change my eating habits, if it helps. Well, maybe not happily, but I would rather give up chocolate than clay. I'm planning to go and visit an excellent pharmacy near where I work, dealing in all sorts of medical supplies for doctors and so on as well as the normal medications and bubble bath and all the rest of it.

Please excuse me for rambling on at great length. It was just great to discover a place where I could do so. I shouldn't say it is wonderful to discover how many others there seem to be, but if I do, well, you know what I mean. Thank you for reading this far.

All the luck possible to all of you,

from a novice hop-along