Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: arch support vs. insoles

Posted by Robin on 1/24/99 at 00:00 (003815)

Hi Suzi. My Birkenstock catalog shows the 3/4 blue arch support which is what most people buy. They also show an arch support for athletic shoes which IS full length, and a boot (full length) arch support. I think the 3/4 length is your best shot for shoes other than athletic shoes. The Birkenstock store I go to also has all of them, but the saleslady told me the 3/4 blue arch supports are definitely the most popular.

suzi on 1/24/99 at 00:00 (003826)

with the 3/4 length birk. inserts are you supposed to remove the insert already in your shoes or just place them on top?? If the insert is removed, how do you get support and cushioning for the metatarsal part of your foot???

Annette on 1/25/99 at 00:00 (003869)

I took out any insole or padding or arch support in all my shoes. Since I need some padding in the metatarsal or ball of the foot I put a Spenco half sole in the front of the shoe. It works pretty good.

Randy on 1/28/99 at 00:00 (004059)

I tried the blue inserts and didn't find them comfortable. I even had some custom orthotics made by a podiatrist and didn't have any comfort. I'm sticking with my regular Birkenstocks until something better comes along. I think the problem is that when you put an insert into a shoe (even with the regular liner taken out) the heel doesn't go low enough to hug the heel as with a Birk reg shoe. My heel always seems to bottom out uncomfortably with any insert. Randy

Re: arch supports

Mary Ann on 2/06/99 at 00:00 (004568)

Lyndel, I just wanted to say Hi to someone else from Montana. It will always be my home. I now live in Vermont and miss Montana a lot. There is a site, http://www.feetrelief.com that has arch supports. I am waiting for the one I ordered. Hoope they will help as not much else has.