Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Glucosamine sulfate dosages

Posted by Robin on 1/24/99 at 00:00 (003841)

To anyone who is taking glucosamine sulfate -- how much are you taking? How did you determine that dosage? Do you know of evidence that indicates how much is a dangerous dosage, or how little constitutes an ineffective dosage? Any info or direct experience with higher dosages that are gradually tapered off as the PF pain subsides?

I have been taking 1500-1800 mgs day, mostly because of reading this board -- that seemed to be the amount most people suggested (presumably from the arthritis cure book?) A couple of times I think the old memory slipped and I took an extra 500 or 1000 mgs -- and I must admit, there WERE days when my feet felt better than others. I'm wondering about boosting the dosage to 2000 or 2500 mgs for two or three months, then tapering down. Anyone have experience with doing this, positive or negative? Thanks.

Re: Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate for heel pain - RITA PLEASE READ

nan on 5/18/98 at 12:20 (000166)

rita,
how much gluco are you taking? what state do you live in?

Annette on 5/19/98 at 09:00 (000604)

1500 mg 3 total, 3 -500 mg 3 times a day initially. After some improvemnt 500 to 1000 for maintenance. They say glucosamine sulfate is better than the HCL.

Rita on 5/23/98 at 22:28 (000625)

Nan,
I'm taking 1 tablet of Glucosamine sulfate(500 mg) with 400 mg Chondroitin Sulfate A (400 mg) at least twice a day. On some days I have taken 3 tablets. I do not take them all at one time, I try to space them between meals. I've been taking them now for about a month or maybe a little longer. I'm in Jersey.
Rita

Rita on 5/23/98 at 22:29 (000626)

Nan,
I'm taking 1 tablet of Glucosamine sulfate(500 mg) with 400 mg Chondroitin Sulfate A at least twice a day. On some days I have taken 3 tablets. I do not take them all at one time, I try to space them between meals. I've been taking them now for about a month or maybe a little longer. I'm in Jersey.
Rita

Re: Glucosamine & Chondroitin

carlos on 8/14/98 at 18:15 (001315)

This stuff sounds great. where can I get it? Do I need a prescription? My doctor never said a word to me about any of this. Thank goddess I found this web site.

Re: Glucosamine & Chondroitin

Rita on 8/14/98 at 19:18 (001316)

You can purchase it in any health food store, Costco also carries it.
I find The Vitamin Shoppe to have the best prices. They have a web site that you can visit. http://www.vitaminshoppe.com --It is expensive and you have to take it for several months before you see results. For more info check out http://www.drweil.com --

Re: Glucosamine Sulfate- Cheaper at Sam's Club

Diane R. on 8/15/98 at 09:57 (001322)

If you have access to a Sam's Club they have the best deal on Glucosamine Sulfate (which I believe is the best form to take). Also, if you will read the post by Eileen she tells about a study showing chondrotin not necessarity being much help for PF. I agree with that from my experiece with the Glucosamine HCL/chondrotion I used to take. It did not help me nearly as much as the glucosamine sulfate I switched to and the sulfate form is alot cheaper! Maybe you should check it out.

Re: Glucosamine after or before eating?

Shaira on 9/02/98 at 11:54 (001573)

My advice is after you've eaten, esp. if you have a sensitive stomach.