Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pf PAIN on balls of feet & NOT heel?

Posted by Shirley on 1/25/99 at 00:00 (003861)

I've read most of the messages but have seen no mention of awful pain on the balls of the feet (beginning of the arch and forward). Is pf supposed to include heel & arch pain, or can it be the balls of the feet with some arch pain? They hurt so much after walking too much that they get numb feeling at the same time. This is strange... A podiatrist diagnosed pf and told me to try ice, rest for 4 MONTHS, and a custom orthotic which I don't wear as it made the pain worse. I'm wearing Wolky shoes that I bought at a Mephisto store, but the soles are so soft I believe they have made them worse. I must admit that after reading all of your messages that I'm not very encouraged here

Re: pf PAIN on balls of feet & NOT heel?

Robin on 1/25/99 at 00:00 (003880)

Hi Shirley. Back when I first found this board (I think around early or mid November), there were some discussion of pain in the ball of the foot and around/under the toe.

I used to have pain in the ball of my foot, and I know some others have reported it. You might have to track back to late November or early December. I used to be a 4-5 mile per day walker. Before my PF really struck, I had 3-4 months of pain in the ball of my foot when walking, also right at the base of my toes -- really metatarsal pain to my mind. But I walked thru it (like an idiot) and it went away after 1 or 2 miles. That was around Feb. -- May 1998. PF really hit me in the middle of the summer -- and when it did, the ball/toe pain stopped. Of course, I wonder if it wasn't a hint of tarsal tunnel syndrome (other curse of the footsies). Sorry this is probably not the help you want -- but dig back through the board. There IS discussion that pertains to your type of pain because I remember taking a small part in it.

Bobbie on 1/25/99 at 00:00 (003881)

I have both pain in both heals and pain in the ball of my right foot. I will be going in on the 1st for some nerve conduction tests. I will report back and let you know what they find out. I just figured that I had been babying my heel so long by walking on the ball of my foot that I created a monster. My foot feels like I have a tight band around it and it feels like my toes might go numb. Sometime when the pain is bad it hurts from the top of my foot through to the ball of my foot, up toward my ankle and even into my leg. Anyway, I will let you know the results and what the neurologist says. So far the only relief I get is staying off my feet. NOTHING else has helped.

Re: pf PAIN on balls of feet - but also in heel

alex on 1/26/99 at 00:00 (003890)

I too have occasional pain in the ball of the foot - feels like it is being severely constricted - and then I get some numbness. This is not regular - maybe once a week or so. Each morning I have severe stiffness in the heel (goes away after two 30-second stretches), and can feel the PF all day every day - pain sometimes worse than others. Since I had two series of acupuncture treatments I have not had the searing pain I used to get. I also take 1500mg Glucosomine Sulfate and mega-vitamins daily. My real concern is that I am learning to liuve with PF rather than getting better.... I have always been so optimistic but after 6 months of this (and reading the horror stories on this board) I begin to wonder........

Sue B. on 1/26/99 at 00:00 (003914)

I have PF in both feet and also pain in the ball of my left foot. The pain lasts about 4 hours and I don't have it every day.

I have been told that it could be 'metatarsia' (I don't know what that is)--another doc told me I didn't have any fat pads there and that is why I get the pain there.

I am still trying to find out. If you ever get a diagnosis please let me know.

Thanks.
Sue

Sue B. on 1/26/99 at 00:00 (003915)

I have PF in both feet and also pain in the ball of my left foot. The pain lasts about 4 hours and I don't have it every day.

I have been told that it could be 'metatarsia' (I don't know what that is)--another doc told me I didn't have any fat pads there and that is why I get the pain there.

I am still trying to find out. If you ever get a diagnosis please let me know.

Thanks.
Sue B.

Cathy on 1/26/99 at 00:00 (003918)

I have the same symptoms and was told that the pain in the ball of the foot is sesamoiditis(irritation of the sesamoid bones)and the numbness is pressure on the the plantar nerve.The podiatrist swears by Active Release Technique {If you have high arches}Check out the ART info on this website.There are only 500 practioners in North America.I start treatment Monday and will keep you posted.Don;'t give up hope.

suzi on 1/26/99 at 00:00 (003922)

Hi Cathy, I am currently working with someone who does ART and I have completely flat feet
He didn't mention anything about it being more effective for people with high arches. Where did you hear this?? I don't want to waste my time if this is true.
thanks

Matt J. on 1/26/99 at 00:00 (003931)

I have pf and experience a pain in the ball of my foot as well. The Podiatrist said that it was a nueroma (sp?). He said it was caused from my compensating the heel spur. I was walking on the side of my foot without realizing it. Anyway, it sounded good to me. He pressed between my second (from small toe) and third toes and I could clearly feel that nerve. To describe how it feels: It is as if my foot is flatter, and I would like to tape it tighter. Is this similar to anyone else? I believe the solution is to massage it, stretch it, and try to walk normally.

Cathy on 1/26/99 at 00:00 (003935)

Hi Suzi, my podiatrist said I was an 'ideal candidate' because of my high arches. I have not yet seen the actual therapist but given the contradictory nature of almost all the suggested treatments, I would definitly try this.
I would not be at all surprised to hear that ART is more effective on flat-footed people! Please keep in touch.Let's compare notes.