Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HELP HELP HELP !QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS

Posted by Melanie on 1/27/99 at 00:00 (003977)

Hi! I am fairly new at this whole PF thing. I have been having lots of pain in my left heel for approx. 1 year. I went to a podiatrist and he told me all I could do is stretch the muscle and possibly cortisone shots. Well, I don't do shots, and stretching doesn't help. I bought my first pair of Birks about 8 mos ago and now that is the only thing I wear. I can't go barefoot and most mornings I can barely walk. I get up first thing in the morning and slip on my Birks and I wear them every waking minute of my day. I recently saw a physical therapist that told me I had PF and is fitting me for orthotics. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Will I end up wearing these for the rest of my life? The Physical Therapist said yes but I want some form of validation from people who are suffering from the same thing. I am very very very frustrated and need some support and helpful hints. I would appreciate any input. :)

Re: HELP HELP HELP !QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS

Patti on 1/27/99 at 00:00 (003980)

Hi! I have been suffering with PF for a few years but didn't really know what it was until about a year ago when I went to see a podiatrist. I went through all of the classic treatments anti-inflammation drugs. tapings, and then cortisone shots. The shots really did help me but not for more than 30 days or so at a time. My doctor believes that most people will get better by rest and the anti-inflammation pills. I did not fall into that catagory unforunately! Over the years at work mostly I have talked to many people who suffered from PF at some time in their lives many attest to the fact that they did get better and haven't had a problem again. Some people say that their PF problem comes and goes over the years. Rarely did I come across someone who has had to go for surgery which is what I did. On Jan. 22 1999 I had an endoscopic fasciotomy I am hoping for great results. I am on my feet all day long at work and need to be ok, I have alot of years ahead of me in the workforce. But as to answer your question I beleive from talking to many people that I am not in the majority and most people do get beeter at some point. Feel free to e-mail me if you would like. Best of luck in you treatment.

Re: HELP HELP HELP !ANSWERS ANSWERS ANSWERS

Dayna on 1/27/99 at 00:00 (003986)

Welcome to the club, you've found a good place for info and support.
I have very flat feet and have to wear my orthotics and shoes 23 1/2 hours a day, only get to go without them in the shower (have other shoes for that and a bench so I don't have to stand). You might not have flat feet and/or have to be so drastic about wearing shoes all the time, but do try not to go barefoot if at all possible. Exercise your feet before you stand up (see below) and put your shoes on before you stand up when you get out of bed, then stand up slowly so your tendon stretches rather than tears. Wear arch support bands in the shower. Yes, you probably will have to wear them for the rest of your life, best to get used to the idea. Shots were worthless or very short-lasting for most people on the board who've had them, my one experience was more painful by far than the PF, it took two nurses to hold me down it hurt so badly, you're smart to say no.

I think I know where you are in your mind, you feel like your life is over, scared, angry, uncertain what the future holds. I've been there. My PF comes and goes, most days I do ok but then it flares up and I'm right back to being a weepy basket case. If I'm wrong, please forgive my forwardness, if I'm right please feel free to email me at the above, I usually check it once a day and respond immediately.

Best relief I've found is ice and reasonable use of feet, luckily I have a desk job. Other thing I can recommend, again, don't know if you have flat feet or not, is good shoes that lace all the way up the foot, no slip-ons, if you can't do that use arch support bands. They should be tight but not painfully so, and practice curling your toes under and then extending them, that helps the tendon relax before you stand on it, reduces the chance of tearing, inflammation and pain.

Other advice is read my post a few messages down about fitting of shoes once you get your orthotics. The right shoe really makes a difference in how the orthotic works for you. Come back to the board often, we care.