Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Something New to Talk About

Posted by Bea on 1/27/99 at 00:00 (003991)

Went to the accupuncturist yesterday and I mentioned the Strassburg Sock, mentioning that I didn't consider it since I am such a bad sleeper it would keep me up all night. She said it would be a good thing & since I have to be off my feet so much resting my foot I should use it then. Also she suggested I get health support stockings to increase the blood flow so the swelling can be kept to a minimum. Comments anyone?

Re: Something New to Talk About

Bobbie on 1/27/99 at 00:00 (004006)

I have the sock but for the life of me I can't keep it up where it belongs at night. When I checked into footcaredirect.com I noticed that they have a night splint that is approximately $78. I forget the name of it but will have to check it out again because I am wondering if anyone else has tried it. Believe me I have tried just about everything there is but I am always on the lookout for something that will heal this miserable pain.

Re: Something New to Talk About - support stocking

alex on 1/28/99 at 00:00 (004010)

I had a deep vein thrombosis in my leg about six years ago and have worn a support stocking ever since. I continued playing tennis (wearing the stocking) and had a completely active life until I developed PF six months ago. Still wear the stocking - the only pain was having to take it off each time I went for acupuncture! My acupuncture droctor did say that my circulation problem was probably one of the underlying causes of my PF - and urged me to continue wearing the stocking - which I do.

heather on 1/28/99 at 00:00 (004015)

Hi Bobbie, I have been wearing a night splint since Dec.1 and have noticed some lessenning of pain in the morning (although it does come back as soon as I start to walk around). I don't know if it is the same as the $78 dollar one - I got this one in Toront at Sports Medicine Therapists. It is a sort of plasticky shell which supports your leg from the knee down on the back of your leg, and under your foot to your toes. Inside of that is a terry-cloth padded thing which your leg and foot actually sit in. Three velcro straps hold you in place. I found that to get my leg/foot in the correct 'stretched' position, I had to do the middle strap up so tight that it cut off the circulation in the rest of my foot. Very uncomfortable, and led to not much good sleep. HOWEVER, when I could bear it all night, I did notice somewhat of an improvement in the morning.

Rick on 1/28/99 at 00:00 (004036)

I recommend trying the Strassburg or a night splint. The night splint helped me quite a bit, although it doesn't work for everyone. Also, Thorlos sock products are really good. I work for Thorlos; and my participation on this board is on a 'non-commercial' basis. But I recommend Thorlos to those whom I feel would benefit from trying them. Thorlos, in peer reviewed medical research, have proven beneficial to circulation in the lower extremeties in cases of venous insufficiency. They have also been shown to be effective in PF, although the evidence in this domain is strictly anecdotal.

I don't want to sound like a commercial, but Thorlos' benefits are substantiated by peer-reviewed medical and scientific research. This site has a link to the Thorlos Web Site. Just go to the Products section, almost at the end. The Thorlos Web Site has lots of information. Or if you would like more info, e-mail me.