Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Looking for those who have had Endoscopic Plantar Fasiotomy (I'm new & this is kinda long).

Posted by Barbara2 on 1/28/99 at 00:00 (004057)

I didn't know so MANY people had this awful thing!
Have been struggling with it for 3-1/2 years now.
Have tried cortisone shots, orthodics, heel pads and cups, naprosin and its relatives, ice, heat, taping, stretching, (not neccessarily in that order) and now am 4 weeks into night splints.
All have provided slight short term relief, but I'm now getting to the point I can't walk.
Dr. is recommending Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy, that's the tube thru the heel and snipping 1/3 of the fascia type surgery.
Has anybody out there tried this? How has it worked?
I am also 50 pounds overweight, have any of you that are overweight tried this surgery? What were your results?
Like many of you, a lot of my overweight is result of PF, also I'm limited by a herniated disc. I've been trying swimming/water-walking, but having increased pain as a result.
Have any of you found other exersizes that've helped?
Dr. tells me that it'll take 3-4 months to see results from night splints.
I've read some of the messages, and I have to agree, 'Yippee' doesn't have a clue.
Thanks for listening, any info appreciated.

Re: Looking for those who have had Endoscopic Plantar Fasiotomy (I'm new & this is kinda long).

MiMi on 1/28/99 at 00:00 (004062)

I share much in common with you and after all of the things you tried didn't work for me I had EPF Surgery in October. I have to admit that although I am not 100% curred, I feel at least 80% better than I did and can actually spend a Saturday shopping. This was almost impossible before my surgery. I still have some pain but most of it is in my ankle. My dr. says its because I have arthritis and I've been taking Day Pro for the last two weeks and feel alot better. I am still searching for a comfortable walking shoe. I have Ecco's but I find it difficult to walk fast in them. My New Balance 606's feel the best and I just bought two pairs of Birks which take some getting used to.

Good luck.