Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ignorant about Ice

Posted by Suzanne on 1/28/99 at 00:00 (004068)

Fellow PF friends,
I'm one week new to PF and keep reading about ice, even warnings about ice use, but I'm truly not clear on how you are using the ice. I keep reading about a frozen coke bottle. Are you referring to freezing a 2 liter bottle of water and then rolling my foot over it for relief? I truly do need specific details. In one week I have gained relief from being off my feet as much as a teacher and mother of a 5 month old can be, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to halt further damage. Thanks for your helpl

Re: Ignorant about Ice

Robin on 1/28/99 at 00:00 (004074)

Yup, some people do a frozen Coke bottle (I found that the one liter bottle was easier to manage than the jumbo bottle). Others do bags of frozen veggies. Corn and peas seem to be popular. I myself like the flat gel cold pack from Walmart. But -- please make sure you read Suzi's post farther down about icing and be sure to safeguard your skin properly. Hard to do with a coke bottle, easier with frozen veggies and cold packs.

eta on 1/28/99 at 00:00 (004085)

I agree with Robin about the frozen veggies thing. I like the frozen peas thing. The thought of putting my foot on a cold hard coke bottle hurts just thinking about it. Lots of advantages to the peas bag. Soft(fairly) recyclable, and wont leak. I ice like many have suggested, while reading this board.
I have read that the ice causes the circulatory system to bring more blood to that area to warm it, carrying healing nutriants to the area.
Hope this helps.

Dayna on 1/29/99 at 00:00 (004116)

I use a ziploc filled with ice cubes (it's wonderful to take out your frustrations breaking them up into smaller pieces. Then I wrap that in a hand towel and snuggle my heel into it. This is cheaper in my mind than a bag of frozen veggies (I like to eat the veggies) although that is the same technique. Important is if it feels uncomfortably cold, put more towel between you and it. This really helps the next day, I also can't imagine a hard bottle.

Barbara on 1/29/99 at 00:00 (004138)

One of the things they do in my physical therapy is freeze water in a styrofoan cup and then rub the ice right where you want it until you see redness. You can peel the cup as you use the ice. Just another alternative... Best, Barbara

bjc on 1/29/99 at 00:00 (004148)

I use a liter bottle for ice, and roll my foot over it. I found that I can get a good 15 minutes in after my morning shower when I am doing my hair! After a few minutes it begins to feel 'warm'...that is my sign that the circulation is increasing. Unfortunately, I'm getting no lasting relief...my doctor is beginning to talk surgery after 7 1/2 months.