Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by Robin on 1/28/99 at 00:00 (004070)

Good advice, Suzi. Lucky me -- I get to ice both feet and also my left knee for a torn ligament. My doctor and my physical therapist have both told me (regarding the knee, but I presume it applies to feet also) that it is better to ice frequently for short periods -- 4,5 or 6 times a day are okay, but only for about 15 minutes, less if it does the job. Never ever more than 20 minutes. They said after 20 minutes, an ice pack can start to burn and destroy skin tissue (as you're finding out). You're right about wrapping it too -- a light dish towel, old pillow case, anything to keep the cold pack from burning skin tissue.

Melanie on 1/28/99 at 00:00 (004076)

Thank you for the info. I ice fairly frequently after stretching.. I hope you are doing better!

Sue B. on 1/28/99 at 00:00 (004096)

I was reading the article 'The Plantar Fasciitis Monster' that was on the web page someone posted a couple of days ago. It was written by a physical therapist at Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana, Illinois, which treats orhopedic outpatients.

It stated that icing beyond 10 minutes makes the body respond to lowered temperatures by increasing blood flow to the area, resulting in increased inflammation. It also said that if you use ice massage, go no longer than 5 minutes. Can't vouch for the accuracy, but it is something to check with your doctor.

Sue B.

Dayna on 1/29/99 at 00:00 (004114)

I ice frequently for several hours at a time in the evenings. I use a ziploc bag with ice cubes in it, beat them up to break them into smaller pieces, wrap that in a hand towel and snuggle my heel into it. If the cold feels too cold, add more padding between you and it. I would never use a cold pack, they stay cold way too long, and they don't conform to wrap around the heel.

Patricia on 1/29/99 at 00:00 (004152)

I have read that icing for ten minutes and then off for 20 is good. I have also heard that you shouldn't ice for more than 10 minutes at a time. I have tried it with a strofoam cup that you fill about three-quarters of the way up with water and freeze. Then you can just peel off the cup as the ice melts. You just massage the area, it seems to help me.

kelus on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004172)

Hey suzi,

When I ice I use an old water bottle
! I fill it nearly all the way to the top and I freeze it. Then I roll my foot over it and it works good.

kelus (Janet)

Chris on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004179)

I just grab a bag of frozen peas out of the freezer and put my heel in in for about 5-8 minutes. It conforms to my heel and isn't too frozen or messy. Those peas were money well spent!

roger m on 1/31/99 at 00:00 (004265)

i have found that a can of frozen orange juice works better.roll back and forth under the arch and against the heel