Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birks

Posted by Melanie on 1/28/99 at 00:00 (004083)

I have been wearing birks for about 8 mos. i love them
They are the only shoes I wear. Unfortunately, they are kind of big. They took some getting used to. I have tried to turn some of my friends onto birks, however, they don't have problems with their PF. They seem to like the nice soft squishy shoes..(who knows, they may end with PF later in life. Let's hope not for their sake!) They are hard soles but, they are the best I have had so far. I am in the process of getting orthotics from my Physical Therapist. Let's hope all goes well and I can wear somewhat normal shoes again.... One can only dream :)

Re: Birks

MiMi on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005558)

I'm with you on this. I bought a pair a few months ago and developed tendonitis in my ankle from wearing them.

BarbJ on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005562)

I went to try on Birks again this weekend to see if I could possibly wear any style but no luck. My foot does not fit a Birk no matter how many styles or sizes I try. It seems my bunions cause my big toe to go right over the ridge and there is absolutely no way I can wear them. I did however end up with a pair of Stegman clogs which so far seem extremely comfortable to wear around the house and over to the neighbors and out to the garage. I have not worn them more than a couple of hours at a time and probably won't given that I bought them for extra support around home. They have a really nice arch support and are very roomy in the toe box. As I said, so far, so good (expensive but worth it if they last a year or two).

Lynda on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005564)

I've suffered with PF for almost 7 years. Have had everything under the sun including 2 surgeries, none of which worked. I always thought I needed a little bit of a heel in my shoe and lots of cushioning. Well after hearing so much about Birks on this site, went ahead and took the plunge last summer with the Arizona sandals. Immediately I felt an improvement. Since I live in N.H. and wearing them in the winter was out of the question, I discovered the Boston style clogs. They are the only thing I wear now! I would recommend that people try them, probably won't work for everybody, but they did for me and I'm so glad.

MiMi on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005558)

I'm with you on this. I bought a pair a few months ago and developed tendonitis in my ankle from wearing them.

BarbJ on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005562)

I went to try on Birks again this weekend to see if I could possibly wear any style but no luck. My foot does not fit a Birk no matter how many styles or sizes I try. It seems my bunions cause my big toe to go right over the ridge and there is absolutely no way I can wear them. I did however end up with a pair of Stegman clogs which so far seem extremely comfortable to wear around the house and over to the neighbors and out to the garage. I have not worn them more than a couple of hours at a time and probably won't given that I bought them for extra support around home. They have a really nice arch support and are very roomy in the toe box. As I said, so far, so good (expensive but worth it if they last a year or two).

Lynda on 3/15/99 at 00:00 (005564)

I've suffered with PF for almost 7 years. Have had everything under the sun including 2 surgeries, none of which worked. I always thought I needed a little bit of a heel in my shoe and lots of cushioning. Well after hearing so much about Birks on this site, went ahead and took the plunge last summer with the Arizona sandals. Immediately I felt an improvement. Since I live in N.H. and wearing them in the winter was out of the question, I discovered the Boston style clogs. They are the only thing I wear now! I would recommend that people try them, probably won't work for everybody, but they did for me and I'm so glad.