Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Mephistos

Posted by Sandra Z on 1/29/99 at 00:00 (004111)

You have a great weekend, too, Becky! I want to encourage you to spend the money on the Mephistos IF 1) you find some with a heel (I have a pair of Mephisto sandals with a one and a half inch heel and they are the ONLY shoes I can walk comfortably in--too bad I live in snow country and can only wear them half the year! The Mephistos have a high arch and good support like Birks, but only some have a heel which takes the pressure off the PF. The flat Mephistos will not help you if flat Birks don't help) and 2) you find a knowledgeable salesperson to fit you properly. I have another pair of Mephistos I bought in France--a nice dressy closed toe leather pair that I can wear to work, but they don't help as much and I think it was because the salesperson and I had trouble communicating. When I got home I noticed they were not the same size as my sandals. Isn't it a real comment on how powerful the PF pain is that when I got my first ever trip to Europe, the first thing I did was go to a shoe store?

Re: Mephistos

Sue on 1/29/99 at 00:00 (004115)

I just bought a pair of Mephistos four days ago and can return them. The salesman said they must have space in them. The arch seems to start abnormally far up (towards the toe box) They are a walking shoe , there is maybe a 1/2 inch higher heel. Orthotics fit but not great.The model is Lilia. Thinking about SAS but people say they are too soft. Any comments?

Dayna on 1/29/99 at 00:00 (004119)

I find that most shoes that come with an arch in them have the arch too far forward, it presses almost on the ball of the foot. I have SAS which work well for me but I also have a custom orthotic which fits them, I can't speak for any shoe that doesn't accept my orthotic or is worn without one. Also, I have very flat feet, no arch whatsoever so anything with a heel is my worst nightmare, while people with high arches find flats sheer torture.

Barbara on 1/29/99 at 00:00 (004132)

Yes, I love my Mephisto sandals too. I could not wear the Birkenstocks. The rise in the heel of the Mephisto takes the pressure off the plantar fascia. These are my at-home slippers.

Sue on 1/29/99 at 00:00 (004133)

What model Mephisto sandal do you have? Was the flat heel on the Birk sandal painful? I'm still investigating which way to go.

Sandra Z on 1/29/99 at 00:00 (004147)

I have 'Eva' Mephisto sandals--you can view them at denvermephisto.com. These are great shoes for high-arched people!

Lee on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008867)

I have a pair of Mephistos for dress but needed a thong style for casual at home. I put off buying a second pair for a long time.
Stupid me, I must have spent $500.00 buying every kind of rubber shoe, soft slippers, soft thongs, thick socks, etc, etc.... I needed something I could put on for slippers in the morning, but $110.00 for slippers. None of these cheaper alternatives ever helped. I finally bought my second pair of Mephistos (thong style) to wear when I get out of bed, or in the evening before bed. Always wearing my sneakers with my prescription orthodics just doesn't always work. The Mephistos work perfect for putting around the house or yard and thery're cute too. I've also worn them to work, but I try to wear my orthodics most of the time when I'm working (hairstylist). The Mephistos have turned out to be a great alternative and answer to my sore feet in the morning.
So maybe I can save someone time, money or foot pain by sharing my experience. Most shoe stores will let you return the shoes if you only wear them indoors so there's really no money lost if they don't work out.

Sue on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008868)

I wear a Mephisto mule type shoe around the house in the morning. They have been a great alternative to slippers.

Martha D. on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008878)

I have Mephistos and Ecco in laceup styles and they are fine but for a slipper and easy to put on, I have Birkenstock's Tatami sandle.
They are wonderful and feel just like walking with orthodics but are so much cooler on the feet.

BarbannJ on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008893)

I wear my beat up pair of Birk Arizonas for slippers. I am considering painting them pink and putting a pompom on the toe, maybe a maribou fluff of some kind. Just dreaming. GGG

Judy E on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008898)

I LOVE my Mephisto sandles. I can wear them to work in an office that is in a warehouse. The floor (under the carpet) is cement, but I can wear the sandles almost all day long without any problems. I always take my trust NB walkers and I am 'breaking-in' a pair of orthotics, so I may change shoes three times a day!.

But I still find the Mephisto sandles dressy, comfy, and cool on these sweltering days.

Lee on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008867)

I have a pair of Mephistos for dress but needed a thong style for casual at home. I put off buying a second pair for a long time.
Stupid me, I must have spent $500.00 buying every kind of rubber shoe, soft slippers, soft thongs, thick socks, etc, etc.... I needed something I could put on for slippers in the morning, but $110.00 for slippers. None of these cheaper alternatives ever helped. I finally bought my second pair of Mephistos (thong style) to wear when I get out of bed, or in the evening before bed. Always wearing my sneakers with my prescription orthodics just doesn't always work. The Mephistos work perfect for putting around the house or yard and thery're cute too. I've also worn them to work, but I try to wear my orthodics most of the time when I'm working (hairstylist). The Mephistos have turned out to be a great alternative and answer to my sore feet in the morning.
So maybe I can save someone time, money or foot pain by sharing my experience. Most shoe stores will let you return the shoes if you only wear them indoors so there's really no money lost if they don't work out.

Sue on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008868)

I wear a Mephisto mule type shoe around the house in the morning. They have been a great alternative to slippers.

Martha D. on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008878)

I have Mephistos and Ecco in laceup styles and they are fine but for a slipper and easy to put on, I have Birkenstock's Tatami sandle.
They are wonderful and feel just like walking with orthodics but are so much cooler on the feet.

BarbannJ on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008893)

I wear my beat up pair of Birk Arizonas for slippers. I am considering painting them pink and putting a pompom on the toe, maybe a maribou fluff of some kind. Just dreaming. GGG

Judy E on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008898)

I LOVE my Mephisto sandles. I can wear them to work in an office that is in a warehouse. The floor (under the carpet) is cement, but I can wear the sandles almost all day long without any problems. I always take my trust NB walkers and I am 'breaking-in' a pair of orthotics, so I may change shoes three times a day!.

But I still find the Mephisto sandles dressy, comfy, and cool on these sweltering days.