Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ice or Heat?

Posted by Helene on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004164)

I've learned from this board that many people ice their feet & it helps. However, some of the drs. I've seen told me to soak my feet in warm water. So now I'm confused as to which is best. Any advice?

Re: Ice or Heat?

Steve on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004175)

My physiotheripist told me that the 'hot - cold' treatment can sometimes kick start the healing process.
First ice the foot then soak in warm water, then cold, then hot etc.
Has anyone heard the same or tried it ?

Chris on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004178)

-same message that I have received. After doing any activity, ice to help the inflamation. Then anytime the warm water, whirlpool, or hot tub gets the blood circulating which helps the healing.

Gina on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004181)

In physio, the hot/cold alternation was called a contrast soak. Did this in therapy, followed by ultrasound, but though it felt wonderful at the time, it really didn't help.

Diane F. on 1/31/99 at 00:00 (004236)

I use heat as ice does not help me at all, it make things worse. It depends on the person, try both way and see what happens and which is better for you. Lets face it, the most doctors don't have a clue of what to do about our pf.

julia on 1/31/99 at 00:00 (004246)

One of the comments further back gave a wonderful website. It talks a lot about icing and strechting although it is directed to runners.

Dayna on 2/01/99 at 00:00 (004289)

If I've been standing a lot or walk/stand/walk/stand (think queueing up at the bank or shopping, and I have that unending aching but not much heel pain, I love a good long soak in hot water followed by a massage. If I have heel pain without the achiness I ice the heel. If I have both, heat first then ice, but I usually don't since if the heel is hurting I get off the feet entirely so the ache doesn't start.

Joe on 2/01/99 at 00:00 (004327)

I have heard of this. It is called 'Contrasting'. The alternating from hot to cold increases the circulation in the area to promote healing.