Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HIGHER HEEL??

Posted by Sue on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004200)

Looking for feedback on shoe heel height. I have a Clark desert boot with Birk inserts. The crepe sole has a one inch heel which the doctor said was GREAT. Unfortunately, I am still in pain and hobbling. The New Balance running shoe 586 has about a one inch elevated heel and the overall feel is similiar to what I have now. SAS Freetime doesn't
seem to have enough elevation although they accommodate Birk inserts. I worked in heels for 20 years and thru two pregnancies and felt fine. Four months after I quit I get PF. I think it was from going barefoot too long. Any suggestions???

Re: HIGHER HEEL??

julia on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004220)

When I was first diagnosed with PF my doctor said to make sure that any shoe I wear has some type of elevated heel. However, the shoes taht I use to exercise in do not and I wear Birkenstocks all the time and they have a resessed heel. I am not so sure that wearing a elevated heel can help, except it doesn't strech out the arch. I feel that stretching it actually helps. I wear a Spenco hard orthotic and they strech my arches and they have worked wonders. Sometimes the doctor is not always right.

Bea on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004230)

Some of these comments are really interesting, things like I used to wear high heel to work for years with no problem, I ran 5 miles a day with no problem, etc. Comments frrom people with PF. I believe that people with PF have a certain weakness to start with and this weakness is brought on excessive excercise and bad shoes, etc. Some people can hardly wait to get better so they continue on the way the have been living. I think PF is a lesson to be learned -that we can't overdo and must be careful of our feet once we get them back in shape. Just my opinion.

Dayna on 2/01/99 at 00:00 (004306)

I used to wear heels everyday, no problem except that I have a naturally tight calf muscle so it only was made worse by the shortening effect of heels. I also have very flat feet and no arch and a short PF tendon, so I was just asking for trouble, and it finally caught up with me. Barefoot flat-foot growing heel spurs to take the strain off until it hit critical tension. Boom, now I have PF and wear flat shoes with custom orthotics 23 1/2 hours a day. Barefoot is bad, barefoot on hard floors is very bad. If you have high arches, a slight heel seems to help, if you have no arch you're asking for trouble, you've got to stretch the calf muscle out slowly so it doesn't pull on the PF tendon so much. 1) don't go barefoot anymore, ever, put your shoes on before you stand up out of bed. 2) use an ace bandage to wrap your arches before you get into the shower, be careful to be tight but not too tight. 3) warm your tendon up by scrunching your toes under then extending them like you're going to walk on tippy-toe, do this a few times before you get up, and then get up slowly. 4) ice. 5) get checked out by a podiatrist or orthopedic foot person, if they say 'there's nothing we can do, you'll just have to learn to live with it', go see another one who will help you. 6) keep reading the board and let us know how you do, we care.

Sue on 2/01/99 at 00:00 (004320)

I am using ice as I type. I go to an orthopedist on Feb 12. I bought Birk Arizonas yesterday and I pick up a pair of Mephistos today. The Birk sandals were more comfortable than I thought they would be. Still wondering if getting my heels slightly elevated might help.

Kristen on 2/03/99 at 00:00 (004416)

I have been reading the board for awhile now and have been most interested in what everyone has to say about shoes. I was diagnosed with PF only months ago and am still experimenting with many of the things that so many of you have already tried. (PT, orthodics, etc.)Yet while awaiting results (a miracle would be nice!)and doing my 'exercises' I still have to get up and work everyday. Thus, my search for the perfect pair of shoes continues...Ironically, I used to sell shoes and here is some info that I discovered: Another brand called 'Ariat' is good. These shoes were designed by two women equestrians. They have a double shank (this is the steel part of the shoe that lends support) a padded insole, and a rubber sole, most with about a 1 to 1 1/2' inch heel. They look pretty good: kind of like little clog riding booties! Cost: around $125. My podiatrist also reccomended 'Saucony' athletic shoes...
I would also like to say that I am so thankful I found this site
!