Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How do you find out what kind of custom orthotic works for you?

Posted by Helene on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004209)

I've spent a lot of money on custom orthotics in the past few yrs. One dr. prescribed hard plastic ones, costing $350.00, and they were too hard for my feet. Made me hurt worse. Another dr. prescribed the semi-rigid ones, which were also too hard. When I wore them, I think they actually made me worse by irritating my arches & then the PF came back again! I still believe that if I could get the right custom orthotic, it would help my PF immensely. I believe I need something flexible yet supportive. The drs. keep telling me which kind are right for me, but they are not the one wearing them! I had one pair of softer ones which helped more than the others & when I showed them to another dr., he told me these were not right for me, they were for 'old people!' So far, the OTC inserts have not worked for me. Anyone
have any advice?

Re: How do you find out what kind of custom orthotic works for you?

Annette on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004210)

You could try the blue Birkenstock footbed-insert. I have had a lot of prescription orthotics and over the counter and none helped much. I have had them for about 3 weeks and they seem to be helping. I got them from shoetree.com in Canada. The exchange rate is good with Canada and I got them for about $32 with shipping. The people there told me to give them 3-4 weeks to begin to relieve foot pain and they were right and that it might get worse before it got better and they were right about that to. They are a little hard and I wondered about that becasue I could never wear a hard orthotic before but I can wear these. Others on this board have had positive result with them to. they have a 30 day money back guarantee so there is not much to loose. I would recommend giving them a try. They will fit in a lot of normal shoes which is nice.

janet on 2/01/99 at 00:00 (004307)

What is the name of the blue insert? I'd like to give it a try.

Dayna on 2/01/99 at 00:00 (004308)

Your softer orthotics were for 'old people'?! So is hobbling around trying to keep up with your 80+ year old gramma when you're in your 20's, sounds like that doctor didn't know what he/she was talking about. I've had good luck with my hard custom orthotic, agree with some others here that you try the Birkenstock blue insert. I've no experience with them but since they have a 30-day guarantee why not try it, if it doesn't work you're not out anything.

Sue on 2/01/99 at 00:00 (004317)

I have been fitted with the Birk $50 cork insert. It has not helped in two weeks. I go to an orthopedist next week. What should I look for? What problems did you have with the custom ones?

Sue on 2/01/99 at 00:00 (004319)

I was fitted with the $50 Birk cork insert two weeks ago with no relief yet. What kind of custom orthotic did you use? I go to an orthopedist next week. Any kind of material or type I should stay away from?

Helene on 2/01/99 at 00:00 (004346)

This pod. who told me my soft orthotics (which at the time were the only ones my feet could tolerate)were for 'old people',made me wanna cry! Another dr. told me he could not do anything more for me, & told me to pray. I think if a dr. cannot think of anything positive to say to his patient, he should not say anything at all!
Since so many people are recommending the Birkenstock blue inserts, I will try them. Thanks!

Diane F. on 2/03/99 at 00:00 (004445)

Are they the blue birk insert? They took about a month before they helped and am lost without them, but still feel better in my birk sandals. With the inserts, does not work in most of the footwear , only so far (all I can afford right now) in my hiking boots am I able to walk good and in almost no pain most of the time. When I put my insert in my snow boots I could feel the diffence and think I hurt them a little. So you might have to try some diff. kind of shoewear to find a match with the inserts. Good luck :)

Diane F. on 2/04/99 at 00:00 (004459)

It is the blue footbed arch support, the casual shoe one I think. I bought it from Tony at Tony Grady's Shoe Tree in Ontario,Canada. His toll free # is 1-800-881-6686 and his website is http://www.shoetree.com I think. He could give you lots of info on the inserts,also sells the birks sandals, you could save alot,as the US dollar is stronger then their, so you pay less. Will be buying more inserts and next sandals from him. Good Luck. :)

Re: How do you find the Blue Bootie?

Becky R. on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012222)

Jack,
Where can you find the blue bootie?
Thanks, Becky

Re: How do you find the Blue Bootie?

Becky R. on 11/01/99 at 00:00 (012222)

Jack,
Where can you find the blue bootie?
Thanks, Becky