Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Prozac, anyone???

Posted by Gina on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004217)

Am debating asking my family dr for an anti-depressant. Have had PF for almost 2 years with very little relief. Am really tired of fighting depression about what I have lost in my life and what I am unable to do. Am wondering if an anti-depressant would ease things emotionally for me. Any thoughts or experiences to share on this? Thanks.

Re: Prozac, anyone???

Barbara2 on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004221)

Everyone prob'ly has their own opinion. Mine is yes, I take a small dosage of Prozac, it takes the edge off depression and according to the Dr. may even help some with the pain. (That's pretty subjective, and I can't tell that it has or hasn't). I tried going off the Prozac for a while, feeling like it was 'artifical' to alleviate the depression. After a few months, I went back on. If its not immoral or illegal, I say do what helps.

Bea on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004229)

You might want to try St. Johns Wort., it is a plant and not a chemical and i found it very helpful as did many of my friends. I don't take it anymore because it does cause some light sensitivity and as I have Graves disease I already have much light sensitivity but it certainly helped my mood. It takes abot 2 weeks to really kick in but then it is very helpful.

Alicia on 1/31/99 at 00:00 (004231)

I have been depressed the last few days myself. I have suffered with PF for 8 years, really bad for about 5 months. I'm in the process of trying as many things as are reasonably affordable and not truly strange (and my definition of strange is getting more liberal...) Before trying a heavy-duty drug like Prozac, why not try some counseling or the St. John's Wort. (Let your family MD know you are going to try it, just to be safe.) I have used counseling off and on for specific things in my life (divorce, death of a parent) and find that it helps. Although PF may be a chronic disorder, I am not going to give in to it and I encourage you to find non-drug ways to cope first. If some of these things don't help, go for it. I DO understand how you feel, as many of us on this message board do. Good luck.

Annette on 1/31/99 at 00:00 (004234)

A small dose of elavil or amitriptyline, an anti-depressant can help with depression and can also give some pain relief. I take a very small dose for pain but not the full dose for depression. Even that little dose does give a little pain relief and helps with mood and I really sleep great at night. Why not take whatever will help. None of us like to be medicated but we have to function and need to investigate anything that will help.

Bea on 1/31/99 at 00:00 (004241)

I agree with Alicia whole heartedly. We are talking about chronic conditions here and when we resort to chemicals we have to think in terms of length of usage. Prozac has done wonders with severe mental depression however if you can do it with a herb the side effects are minimal which is not the case with Prozac and one may be taking it for a long time so you have to worry about build up etc. Start small, you can always go bigger.

Suzy on 2/01/99 at 00:00 (004296)

I have had this for 2 years as well and 2 surgerys later! Still the same.
I am on Zoloft and It has helped me tons! I was at a point that I didnt care anymore becouse of never being able to do anything. It was horrible! I highly recommend it and wish you the best of luck!

Jill on 2/01/99 at 00:00 (004304)

Prozac and the other SSRI's are thought to alter pain perception and mood. I have used them on and off in the past 5 years and found it extremely helpfull. A full dose(prozac) makes me too tired so I have taken a half dose. Also a low dose of amnitryptalyne for sleep is good. they often use that for fibromyalgia.