Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Swimming and PF

Posted by Suzanne on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004223)

Fellow PF Friends,
I just had my first swim in a week as my foot was taped after my diagnosis just over a week ago. I have been off my feet (for the most part as I teach and am a mother of a very young baby) so this was my first major exercise in 8 days. Before I was diagnosed and was walking every day and was 26 lbs heavier carrying my child, I had a lot of heel pain after my swim, but not during. Today I was hoping there would be none, but there was some but not as intense as before. I'd like to hear from fellow swimmers and how you felt during and after a swim. Should I have iced after my swim? I'm open to reading any of your experiences. Thanks gang!

Re: Swimming and PF

John on 1/30/99 at 00:00 (004225)

I started swimming after knee surgery and developing PF. I found that the push off of a flip trun could cause some more injury or pain. After awhile I got pain even I did flip[ turns. Swimming was the best exercise and when my schedule allows I'll be back to it. I also used aqua shoes that had arch supports to walk on the deck and shower, this help protect the feet before and after swimming.

Chris on 1/31/99 at 00:00 (004233)

I am now doing deep water aerobics after PF ended my aerobics work-outs. The podiatrist recommends is also. Remember to wear footwear when you are out of the water to protect your heel. I do not have more pain after my workout, but I feel better. I ice when I get home.

Cathy on 1/31/99 at 00:00 (004244)

Cathy on 1/31/99 at 00:00 (004245)

I have found deep water running to be very soothing to my foot.Perhaps the foot stays more relaxed than in swimming.

Lyndel on 2/01/99 at 00:00 (004288)

Suzanne,

My wife has been doing water arobics for 3 years now. It is increadible how she looks! She went from being a thick gal to a very lean, toned body! WOW is all I can say. Since she felt and looked so good, I decided last winter (they are cold and long here in Montana) that I needed to do the same since a flight of stairs was making me huff and puff at the top. (I'm only 36 for pete's sake!) I got in the pool and found out that I couldn't even complete a half a lap without being completly played out (In high school I was a top swimmer!) so I grabbed a kick board (those styrofom boards) and just started paddleing back and forth the length of the pool. Pretty soon I could swim on my back accross the pool and the next lap use the board. After about 2 months I could swim accross the pool without wanting to die! :~) My strength increased 10 fold after just 2 months from swimming
! My feet hardly ever touched the bottom of the pool so I would suggest everyone who wants to loose weight, strengthen ALL of there muscles and feel better all around without damaging your feet, GO SWIMMING! It's also cheap!

Lyndel

Lyndel on 2/01/99 at 00:00 (004290)

Suzanne,

My wife has been doing water arobics for 3 years now. It is increadible how she looks! She went from being a thick gal to a very lean, toned body! WOW is all I can say. Since she felt and looked so good, I decided last winter (they are cold and long here in Montana) that I needed to do the same since a flight of stairs was making me huff and puff at the top. (I'm only 36 for pete's sake!) I got in the pool and found out that I couldn't even complete a half a lap without being completly played out (In high school I was a top swimmer!) so I grabbed a kick board (those styrofom boards) and just started paddleing back and forth the length of the pool. Pretty soon I could swim on my back accross the pool and the next lap use the board. After about 2 months I could swim accross the pool without wanting to die! :~) My strength increased 10 fold after just 2 months from swimming
! My feet hardly ever touched the bottom of the pool so I would suggest everyone who wants to loose weight, strengthen ALL of there muscles and feel better all around without damaging your feet, GO SWIMMING! It's also cheap!

Lyndel