Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery Coming Up

Posted by Barbara2 on 2/02/99 at 00:00 (004400)

Its time for me to set a date for surgery if I'm going to have it.
I'm having a hard time deciding.
How are all the surgery recover-ers doing out there?
Does anyone know how many EPS's a doctor should have done to be considered experienced?

Re: Surgery Coming Up

Patti on 2/02/99 at 00:00 (004404)

I am 9 days post-op and walking around pretty well. The surgery doesn't hurt much at all. Incisions are very small. After having such severe foot pain for years I am hoping for good results. Too soon to tell for now though. I will be having my other foot done soon.

Tracey on 2/03/99 at 00:00 (004413)

Hello all, I found this site tonight while reading about the plantar fasciitis. I have suffered with it for 3.5 years, and have gone to two unsympathetic orthopaedists before finding the one I have now. He immediately ordered orthotics for my shoes and I have surgery scheduled for February 24th. He does not do the orthroscopic surgery, because he said he doesn't feel he an see the area and treat it as effectively. I was told he would make a crescent shaped cut at the side of my heel and go around the arch area to release the ligament some. The bone spur will not be removed. The recovery period is about 6 to 8 weeks, with no weight on the foot for the first 2 weeks. fortunately for me, i only have this condition in my right foot and not in both. I don't know how those of you with it in both feet can stand it. Anyway, I am just interested in hearing how others are doing after their surgery, and getting any advice any of you may have to offer. Thanks, Tracey

Bea on 2/03/99 at 00:00 (004415)

Please take the time to read through all the messages before you have the surgury. You won't be sorry.

Tracey on 2/03/99 at 00:00 (004428)

Bea, thanks for the advice. I have already started readng and plan to continue. Tracey

Michele on 2/03/99 at 00:00 (004451)

I had the 'open' surgery that you are planning. My doctor did this for the same reasons your doctor told you - they can see better than with the endoscopic. I am now 8 weeks post op. As you have, I had it only in the right foot. The first two weeks after surgery, I had no weight on it - then was able to gradually add weight. I was walking without crutches after four weeks.
It doesn't get better overnite and anyone who thinks it does is expecting too much.
At eight weeks post-op, I am now walking and even gradually getting back to my running schedule. I have been faithful about 'exercising' my foot, with a # of strengthening exercises, as well as warming up before a walk or run. I still have stiffness when I get out of bed in the morning or after sitting for awhile, but no pain anymore. Though I think it is still premature to determine if this has been a success for me or not - but at this point I am very optimistic and glad that I had the surgery as well as the type of surgery I had.
Good luck.

MIMI on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004508)

I had surgery in October and am feeling pretty good these days. At first there was some pain, but it seems to be getting better. After suffering for the last year, I can now walk around the mall on weekends and go shopping again. I do have a slight case of arthritis in my ankle but I take Day Pro now and then and feel much better. I'm going to start riding an exercise bike this weekend. Good luck with your surgery.

Sandy on 2/08/99 at 00:00 (004624)

Good luck Barbara
You'll be glad you did this! I did it in December on the 29th, and I am back to a pain free, walking, working, shopping lifestyle! Good luck--you'll do great! (p.s. I did both feet at the same time. I'm 42, active and a believer in this surgery!) Keep us posted!