Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fascittis

Posted by Hal on 2/03/99 at 00:00 (004422)

Has anyone tried acupunctre and what were the results?

Re: Plantar Fascittis

PInkee on 2/03/99 at 00:00 (004429)

Go back through the bulletin and you will find information about 4 days back.

debbie on 2/03/99 at 00:00 (004433)

I tried it after I had nothing else left. Go back though the messages and find my story. It cured me. I am back to aerobics. try it

Sue on 2/03/99 at 00:00 (004438)

Pinkee, your rave reviews on Birk sandals started my investigation on them. I was fitted in the Arizona on Sunday. Unfortunately, the pair had either an imperfection in the leather or glue residue which rubbed the side of my foot. Yesterday I spent two hours in the Birk outlet store. I normally wear an 71/2 or 8M. The 37N or 37R was too tight or too sloppy respectively. I ended up taking back the pair on Sunday and ordering the 37R and tightening the straps to their last hole. The length seemed to be in-between as well. No clear-cut answer.

Robin on 2/03/99 at 00:00 (004442)

Sue, I think you may be wearing the wrong size Birks. In this 'outlet' store, do they have knowledgeable sales people who can properly fit you, or is it just regular (not so knowledgeable) salespeople? If the latter, you will probably have to fit yourself. I was fitted in a Birk-only store by someone very knowledgeable so maybe what I learned there will help.

I am wearing a size 38 Birk, which is normally the size someone would take if they wore around an 8. In a normal women's shoe, I wear a 9 or 9.5. I even have some 10s. So right off the bat I think you are wearing too big a Birk. From your description, it may be too long. If it is, the arch will hit you in the wrong place. And it will hurt.

Your heel should really rest back in the heel cup. I mean, it should be right up to the rear of the heel cup before it starts to rise up slightly. The heel cut is NOT the place where you want an extra 1/2' of room. Your toes should be about 1/8 inch in front of the ridge that rises up all around the toe. These are not shoes where you're supposed to have 'give' in the length. You may have some in the width, but the length is more important because that determines how the arch support supports your foot. Don't give up -- these are good shoes. I'm not like Pinkee or others who have been nearly 100% relieved -- but I sure like them and I did just order my 3rd pair. Keep trying if you can.

Ellie on 2/03/99 at 00:00 (004452)

What was the 'it' that worked for you? I have tried all the conventional remedies and 7 months later I still have a problem. The talk of surgery turns me off. Appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Ellie

Ellie on 2/03/99 at 00:00 (004453)

What was the 'it' that worked for you, Debbie? I have tried all the conventional remedies and 7 months later I still have a problem. The talk of surgery turns me off. Appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Ellie

alex on 2/03/99 at 00:00 (004454)

I have had two sessions of acupuncture treatment - each over a period of three weeks, with about six treatments in each. Different approaches by first a Chinese and then a Korean Dr.

The Chinese Dr also put me on heavy duty vitamins and glucosomine sulfate (which I continue).
There is no doubt that the acupuncture greatly reduced my pain. Since I began that treatment I never once experienced the kind of searing pain I was getting used to before. However, there was no sign that I was actually going to be CURED completely. I remained aware of my PF 24 hours a day, with severe stiffness in the morning, and varying pain levels during the day.
On Monday this week I had my first cortisone shot. Did not really hurt too much having the shot, but I had pretty bad pain Monday night. On Wednesday I began to notice a major improvement, and this morning, Thursday, I woke up with virtually no stiffness (first time in six months) No major pain today - but still early days......

debbie on 2/04/99 at 00:00 (004475)

Ellie, YOu asked about acupuncture. I had 21 treatments after everything else failed. I consider myself cured. I do everything and anything I want, all day long. I am back to Jazzercise three times a week. I couldn't even make it through a trip to the food store before. You should look into acu. I know several people it worked for. It's worth a try, no side effects, and you have nothing to lose, and p0ssibly everything to gain. Debbie

Donald on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004510)

Had my shot today 2/5/99, and it didn't hurt except for one or two sharp pains toward the end of the shot. My foot felt great for about 3 hours and then the soreness and pain returned but not as bad. I hope I can look forward to the pain abating in two days. My GP gave me daypro to take twice a day for one week. My heel spur has been hurting since last november and has knocked me out of walking which I need to do for weight control and exercise. Any suggestions would be helpful as to what worked for you after the shot. shoes, etc also.