Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

OK, is this forever?

Posted by Carolyn on 2/04/99 at 00:00 (004464)

I have had intense PF/heel spur pain for a year now. I spent hundreds of dollars on the orthopedic inserts (which really do help, tried the injections, I am losing weight, etc...My question is - do you ever get rid of the PF pain, or is this something you deal with forever? I'm in my 30's, but I feel like an old woman in the mornings, as I hobble around the house. I exercise often, and I really backed off the step aerobics for 4 or 5 months last year, but there was no difference in the level of pain, so I'm stepping again to help with the weight loss. I really dread the thought of having this annoyance for years to come. Has anyone had luck in ridding themselves of the pain for good?

Re: OK, is this forever?

Lisa in Va. on 2/17/99 at 00:00 (004893)

I just got back from my third appointment with the Dr. My next appt. is to fit me for orthotics. He told me that my foot will probably not be completely healed for at least one year and maybe even two. If it weren't for the fact that stretching, ice and a temporary arch support are helping me a great deal, I'd be devastated by this news.

suzi on 2/17/99 at 00:00 (004901)

Lisa, your doctor sounds like a true optimist
! What a typical foot doctor, tell him to go suck an egg

julia on 2/04/99 at 00:00 (004468)

Hi Carolyn. I have had PF for about 10 months now and I thought I would have this forever also. Recently though there are days that I have no pain and almost forget that I have PF. I also backed off the exercise for about 6 months and had a weight gain and had to get back to doing something. I joined a fitness center and am really enjoying it and even use the treadmill for 30 minutes a day with no pain. I credit my Birkenstocks and my orthotics (store bought $30.00) to help with my pain. I really beleive in stretching the feet often and use ice to help with the inflamation if I do start to hurt. But I really think that this can be overcome (I can't imagine having this at 90!). Good luck with your pain and email me if you need to talk.

Alicia on 2/04/99 at 00:00 (004469)

Carolyn: You will get answers from one extreme to the other. I have had PF for 8 years. It came and went until about 6 months ago. Since that time it has been almost everyday. I've had custom made orthotics which have helped, but not cured. Stretching and ice help, but have not cured. Have recently tried myofascial release therapy, which has helped, but not cured. Unfortunately, I DO feel this may be a long term problem. No one thing works for everyone. Some people have become pain free on this site, at least for short periods of time. I envy them. Good luck.

Lyndel on 2/04/99 at 00:00 (004470)

Wow, your symptoms are the same as mine. Had it a year now. Got custom orthopedic inserts, the kind that go to the ball of your foot and not the entire foot. They cost a bundle ($375.00) but they sure helped for the past 6 months. The past couple of weeks my feet really started hurting when wearing my orthos? When I go barefoot they feel great! Cant go bare foot here though. Just a little to cold here in Montana. Also I'm only in my mid 30's and the pain comes and goes. Sometimes its almost not there and other times its killer like the last couple of days. I think I jumped off the back of my service truck and that's what did it.

Swimming is great for dropping weight. I was a top swimmer when I was a kid in High School. Last year when I went to swim with my wife who does water arobics I couldn't swim accross the short lenght of the pool! :~) I grabbed a paddle board and just kicked back and forth the lenght of the pool for a half hour each day. By the end of the second month or so I could swim the lenght of the pool face down and back stroke the way back without stopping! I also trimmed about 20 pounds in the process and I started out at 190 pounds at 6 feet tall so I wan'nt overweight to start with. Just carried a spare tire around my middle from driving so much the past 5 years for my job.

Hope this helps some?

Eileen L. on 2/04/99 at 00:00 (004471)

Although I work on my feet everyday for the last 30 years, I have never had any bottom of heel pain until 2 weeks ago. I was running aroung playing laser tag and at the end of the first session, my foot hurt sooo much! For the next 2 days it was intense. I've taken high does of ibuprofin, then pregdisone (sp?) , helped a little but it still hurts all day and all night, if I'm on it or not.

My question is, has anyone heard of it coming on so fast? or is that how you all started?

The pain is constant in the middle of the high part of the arch back against the heel. I feel like I have a circle that seems to go numb at times, is that unusual?

Advise, since it is acute, should I try an injection, or physical therapy, or taking sick leave and staying off my foot for a while. This is not something anyone wants to live with all the time, and I'd rather do something now to make it better.

Thank's

Shelby on 2/04/99 at 00:00 (004479)

I've had this for over 15 years. I've tried everything. I've had accupuncture twice. The first time I had relief for over 2 years. The second time didn't help. For some reason I had a six month relief period last spring, but suddenly this fall the pain began again...very painful. I had the cortisone injections in Nov and it did nothing. I'm using ice and stretching now. I've tried every orthodic...from the expensive to the ones from Footlocker. So, is this forever...I'm beginning to think so.

Lonnie on 2/04/99 at 00:00 (004480)

To Eileen L. if your taking Prednisone without medical supervision please stop. I have worked in the medical field for over 15 years and it is a steroid drug used as a last resort for chronic conditions like exacerbations of asthma and inflammations that have not responded to other treatment. It has many nasty sided effects(with weight gain and mood swings being the least)! The dosage also has to be properly titrated (increased and decreased)and should not be abruptly started or stopped.
Have had PF on and off for a few years. Officially diagnosed about 2 years ago. My PF is now quiet. I have exacerbated the condition by running on ceramic tile floors at work. I have had shots when it gets really bad. They have helped. I have also taken NSAIDS (anti-inflammatory meds)for extended periods of time (a month or more)if your stomach can handle it. I wear sneakers with orthotics all the time. Cannot wear slippers or any shoes with no heels. All treatment with medications have been followed by my podiatrist. Please do not medicate yourself.
I think the key is to find out what triggers the condition and to avoid the activity.
To those who have problem with their orthotics. Did the physician tell you that you actually have to break them in. Just like contact lens you should increased your wearing time gradually. They also may need to be adjusted. You paid alot of money, get them right and they're a great help.
Good luck!

julia on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004514)

Eilleen, my pain came on fast also. I got up from my desk at work one day and all the sudden had intense pain in my foot. My boss saw me and asked what was wrong, her first conclusion was heel spur. 2 months later I saw the podiatrist and that was it. That was 9 months ago. I had one cortisone injection and it only helped for about 2 weeks. I then decided to do some research on my own. I use the following to help with my pain: stretching, icing, store bought orthotics, and wear my Birkenstock sandals! (they are a life saver). I am now back to normal activities and using the treadmill again. I treat my foot like a baby though and when it hurts I do take care of it.

Eileen L on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004515)

Thanks, for your replies. A GP did supervise my predisone medication. I took it for only 10ys, starting with 5 pills a day and ending with one a day (each for 2 days). It did not work at all. He tried that after the 800mg of Ibuprofin did not help. I have an appointment with an orthopedic doctor who specialize in the foot and ankle. I've heard that he is very good, we'll see.

Sorry I forget who posted that their problem happened quickly, too. I guess, I hoped falsely that that would mean that once I was treated and cured that it would go away for good. Since I've lived with this pain, if it does go away, I will do the same as you, treat my feet like they belonged to the queen or some high paid dancer. i won't ever take them for granted again!

I will start looking for those Birkinstock (sP) sandels, I know that they are expensive. I have never liked clogs, do they take a while to get used to? You cannot put your orthotics in them can you?

Should I let the doctor give me an injection? If he does, will I be able to drive myself home?

Thank's for the information.

Re: OK, is this forever? Carolyn

Sandy in Utah on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004538)

Hi Carolyn. I have suffered with pf for 4 years. I used to run, waterski, hike, walk 6 miles, ski, and was paralyzed by pf. I had surgery in December and have never been happier or felt better. Read Freds answer on on for everyone, as he has a very good point in that not many success stories post. I am definetly a success story and highly reccomment surgery, you have nothing to loose if you can't function. I would be in tears at night after working in my yard, etc. because the pain was so 'hot'. I spent my last summer icing more than doing anything else. I had a small incision on the inside of my feet (did both at once) and the pf was released 3/4 of the way. I went to aerobics today and walked everyday in Mexico last week at least 2 miles and even though it was painful at the time, everyday brought more healing and the next day would feel better
I have followed the advice of my physical therapist and podiatrist and feel they knew the best treatment for me. Please feel free to let me know if you would like more info. Don't be afraid of surgery if you have tried everything else. It's stupid to live in pain and I deeply regret not doing this 3 years ago. Attitude also plays an important part in healing. I was determined to walk again. I look forward to hiking again this summer. It's a priviledge I have not enjoyed for 3 years.
God luck to you...you don't have to live with the pain!

shugga on 2/07/99 at 00:00 (004604)

I thought it would be, last year. But now I'm walking the dog every day again, and even going to the gym. (not as often as I would like) I attribute my wellness to better shoes (Dexters, Rockport, Red Cross, etc.)and glucosamine sulfate with chrondroitin.

Lisa in Va. on 2/17/99 at 00:00 (004893)

I just got back from my third appointment with the Dr. My next appt. is to fit me for orthotics. He told me that my foot will probably not be completely healed for at least one year and maybe even two. If it weren't for the fact that stretching, ice and a temporary arch support are helping me a great deal, I'd be devastated by this news.

suzi on 2/17/99 at 00:00 (004901)

Lisa, your doctor sounds like a true optimist
! What a typical foot doctor, tell him to go suck an egg