Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just Call Me Limp Along

Posted by Susie on 2/04/99 at 00:00 (004485)

I have had PF for 10 years and am now having terrible pain in the left heel. I go to the doctor next week to see what he can do. In
the mean time, does anyone think taping my left foot would help. I
have never tried it before.

Re: Just Call Me Limp Along

Lyndel on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004492)

When I first got PF last year, the doc wrapped my feet and BOY did they feel better! Give it a try, I bet you really like it. My doc also put a foam heel pad under the tapping and that helped cushin the heel alot! This web page shows you how to wrap ( tape) your foot.

http://www.mindspring.com/~scottr/feet/_intro.html

Good luck

suzanne on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004496)

Susie,
My podiatrist taped my foot and I wore the taping for a week and I got relief and healing both. I could definitely feel that my taped foot was not pronating (part of my problem) and a week of taping gave me enough relief to be able to start employing all the other measures intended to heal PF. IT's worth a try and there is even info on doing it yourself on this site, but I personally have not tried that so don't feel qualified to comment. Best wishes!

Susie on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004520)

Thanks for the info Suzanne, it really helps to hear from someone
with the same problem. I seen the diagram on this website from Scott
on how to tape your foot. Guess I can do it myself and if its not
right the doctor can do it next week. Thanks,
Sue

Susie on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004521)

Lyndell,
Thanks so much for the info. I looked around this website and seen the diagram of the foot taping. I think I'll try it and if I can't get it right, have the doctor do it next week.
When they do it at the doctors office, how long do you leave it on?
I'm up for anything, my feet hurt pretty much all the time, especially my left foot.
Bye the way I like your name, it's pretty.
Susie(from St. Louis)

Lonnie on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004524)

Yes, Yes tape. What have you got to lose. When I was first diagnosed and in horrendous pain, my podiatrist tape my foot. It was wonderful. Had no idea just how much pain I was in until it was gone.
If it doesn't work just take it off.

Mary Ann on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004527)

I had my foot taped by the podiatrist and he was very confident that the pain would be relieved. Mine didn't. It hurt worse. I could only leave it on for 1 1/2 days. I think if the taping works that is an indication that orthotics will help. But my Dr. said he wondered why it hurt . I am going to try new orthotics because the ones I have are 10 yrs. and made of very hard material that they don't meak anymore and the ones he has are a little flexible.

Lyndel on 2/06/99 at 00:00 (004556)

Susie,

Thanks! My mother named me. Said she couldn't think of a name and asked her sisters (all 10 of them) if they liked Del, they said no, asked them if they liked Lyn, they said no, they liked Dellyn but she didnt so swapped them and came up with Lyndel. Anyway...the doc wrapped my feet 3 different times. Each time I was able to keep the wrap on for about a week. I would even take a grocery bag (the plastic ones) and wrap them aroud my wrapped foot and seal it at the top with a rubber band. Kept some of the water out. Anyway, It really helped alot. I couldn't believe how tight he made it the first time. I thought it would be uncomfortable and was for a few steps until my foot got use to the padding and tape. After that it was pure heaven and I'm thinking of going back because I've been walking on my toes so much lately to relive the pain from my heels (both) that my ankle and legs hurt clear up to my hips.

Do you get deep pain in your foot? I've been getting that lately. Kinda scares me! My friend had the same pain in one foot only. Started on the outside and moved around the heel of his foot. Turned out to be a TUMOR
! Had to have a operation! They grafted bone from his hip to fill in his heal where the tumor completly ate the entire heal away except for a shell! Now that will scare you to death! My friend says I really need to see an Orthipedic sergon soon and I think I'm gonna make an appointment with his doctor in the near future if this pain dont simmer down soon. Wasn't bad for a couple of months but anytime I stand for more than about 15 minutes I hurt for weeks after that!

Enough of my babbling. I'm going to bed....see ya in the morning. This is the second thing I check anymore besides email :~)

Re: Just Call Me Limp Along (for Susie!)

Susie on 2/06/99 at 00:00 (004582)

Lyndel,
Hi, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I'm hooked up to the internet through our library and sometimes its hard to get on
and I'm helping raise a grandchild and she keeps me busy.
Anyway, yes I have pain in my left foot. I will go to sit down and lift my foot up and get sharp shooting pains. Going to the doctor next week(MD), so will see what happens. With our insurance we have to go the primary doctor first.Oh, and my left foot kills me if I sit down for a few minutes then get back up. It's all I can do LIMP.
I got some tape tonight so am going to try and tape it myself.
By the way what city and state do you live in? I live in St.
Louis, Mo. Talk to you later.
Sue

Re: Just Call Me Limp Along (for Susie!)

Dayna on 2/07/99 at 00:00 (004599)

Sue,

If your primary says there's nothing to be done, you just have to learn to live with it, etc. DUMP them and try to get changed to another primary. I had the same thing happen when I changed insurers,
I've had PF for a while so I knew what it was when it flared up again, but in the other foot. My doctor told me I would just have to live with chronic pain and refused to give me a referral to my wonderful podiatrist. I was limping so badly I was almost broken down and going back on crutches, and the strain was starting to affect my 'bad' foot. I paid myself to go to my podiatrist and was all taken care of in a few days, I just needed 1/2 hour on the ultrsound and some heavy duty Daypro. That, combined with ice and rest and some extra compression from an arch support band had me back to normal. Not all doctors know what they're talking about. I know some people say orthopedist is better than a podiatrist but I've had very good luck with mine. The only time I had a problem was when she was out and I had to see her partner, he's the one that gave me the horrible cortizone shot. Good luck and keep us informed, we care.