Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Fit is critical

Posted by Robin on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004504)

Lyndel, $90 is the going rate for Arizona Birkenstock and other basic sandal models. You might find them a few bucks cheaper on the 'Net, but....

Fit is critical with these shoes. If this is your first pair of Birks and you aren't absolutely sure what size to wear (and you aren't if it's your first pair), please spring for the $90 and get fitted properly first in a Birkenstock store. You might save $10 or $15 mail ordering them, but if you don't get the right fit -- you can hurt your feet worse than they already hurt. You might want to read back through the board during January; there's a LOT of posting on Birkenstock fit. A lot of people who steadily wear Birks will support this position.

I've written this about 5 times already, but.... in a normal woman's shoe, I wear a 9 or 9.5. That would be the equivalent of a Birkenstock size 40 and I would have bought a size 40 if left to my own devices. I tried the 40 and the 39, both were too long (I didn't know it, but the saleslady did). I ended up with the 38 (which would be 7.5 or 8 in a normal women's shoe) which is just right. Since then, I have mail ordered other Birks in a 38.

I figure it this way; for an extra $10 or $15 I want a good fit (and also a friend in my local Birkenstock store if possible). Actually, I'm going back to the store to buy more. The price differentials aren't that great, and I'd rather give it to local people I know.

Sue on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004505)

I'm the gal struggling with the Birk sandal fit. Even high end shoe stores may not be the answer... or Birk only outlets. There were 3 salesclerks at the outlet. One actually stated the size guidelines posted thruout the store were correct. Which translated: Size 8 should wear a 39 or 40
! The store did not even have a foot measuring device to determine width! However the savings was substantial. Their brochure stated 25% to 50% off and it was true. My recommendation: Check more that one source for fitting. It's like asking 3 people for directions. You get different answers from all three. Research and pick the one which seems right for you. In my case, the 37 reg for a 71/2 to 8M foot seems to be the answer at this point. I pick them up today. Will advise.. Tomorrow I go on a three mile hike on the ocean to view elephant seals. I hope I can make it.

BarbJ on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004506)

Dear Sue--You must be going to Ano Nuevo! I live in Oakland and used to go there once a year to see the elephant seals. Haven't been lately because of pf. Let me know how it goes for you footwise. Best, BarbJ

Lyndel on 2/06/99 at 00:00 (004552)

Sue & Robin, Thanks for the advice. You got to remember tho, I'm in Montana and there is only ONE place here that sells Birks. The next closest place is 150 miles away in Billings Montana which is the largest city in the state! Hey we only have 800 thousand people in the forth largest state anyway! :~) That is why I asked about the outlets and ordering online. This darn town I live in is a tourist trap and everything is very expensive! (I bought a falling down 4 bedroom home last year and it still was over 100 grand!) Anyway, I'll look around Billings when I get there next week. Not sure I'll find anything as where I live is the hippie capitol of this state and Billings is more Cowboys and Indians (I'm not kidding!)

They fitted me here at the local store. I think they did a good job. They made sure there was about 1/8 inch front and back and the width felt good (I have wide feet with high insteps) I think I dont have a high arch tho, when I put the birks on they felt like a giant pitchers mound under my arch! The cutout in the heel was nice tho! Wish my orthos had that.

Where did you order them on the internet????

Thanks for the info everyone....

Oh by the way, I tried some calf and toe stretch for about 5 minutes before I got out of bed this morning and boy was it nice to hit the floor with my feet and not hobble! I couldn't believe it! After a year of limping for about the first 10 steps in the morning I walked pain free! Even today walking for work it wasn't to bad. This stretching thing is really working. I'm able to bend well past the 30 degrees they talk about and getting easier each time I stretch. I even stretch while working if there is a spare moment! Stretching has worked best of everything I've tried so far!

See ya in the morning!

Sue on 2/06/99 at 00:00 (004577)

Barb J, It was torrential rain at Ano Neuvo. So much wind our rain ponchos flipped up in our face. Had 39 people going and only 11 made it. My orthotics (Birk inserts) are soaked. I know I will pay for the 3 mi walk.