Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain on outside edge of heel

Posted by Sandra Z on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004534)

Do any of you have pain on the outside edge of your heel (the edge NOT next to your other foot?) If so, is it still PF? Or is it something else? I have had my foot in a soft cast for five weeks and while my foot feels good in the cast, as soon as I take it off to shower the pain is back. I had ankle pain also before casting; doctor said that was because the heel pain was making me walk funny. The ankle pain is gone, but the pain on the bottom of my foot is as intense as ever and seems to be moving over toward the outside edge of my foot. Weird, huh? It's a really deep, achy, bone-bruise type pain, not a rubbing-against-the-cast pain. Any suggestions for dealing with this?

Re: Pain on outside edge of heel Sandra

Gabby D. on 2/05/99 at 00:00 (004545)

Sandra, why were you in a cast? It sounds like you are compensating and that is causing the pain. Sometimes the intesnse pain can be relieved with massaging the affected area after a warm soak. Would you please post more info about your injury?

Re: Pain on outside edge of heel

Chris on 2/06/99 at 00:00 (004563)

I agree with Gabby that the outside heel pain is from compensating. I have it also.-even on the foot without pf. I have been trying to focus this week on walking evenly- heel to toe. It has helped. Massage, warm water, and rest. Good luck

Sandra Z on 2/06/99 at 00:00 (004569)

Gabby: My ortho put me in a removable cast (actually it's called a Bledsoe boot--the bottom is rounded so as soon as I step on my foot, the pressure rolls up and off my heel) because shots, PT, stretching, icing, anti-inflammatories and orthotics failed to cure my PF pain, which was caused by jogging. This is my second time around with this injury; the first time one shot and orthotics cured it and I was pain free for six months until I stupidly tried to jog again. I don't think this is a compensation pain, because the cast forces me to go heel-toe very smoothly. If no one else has this edge of heel pain, am I misdiagnosed? What else could this be?

Bea on 2/06/99 at 00:00 (004573)

I have pain on the outside of my heel and am told it is calcium deposits which I also have along my achilles heel. They show up on xrays. Good Luck

Re: Pain on outside edge of heel

Shelby on 2/06/99 at 00:00 (004578)

I have pain on the outside edge of my heel. It is very painful...feels like a deep bruise. I also am beginning to have pain in my buttock....I think these are from walking to lessen the heel pain.