Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

BIRKS HURT

Posted by Sue on 2/08/99 at 00:00 (004633)

I know you must break in the Birk sandal gradually. I wear Birk orthotics all the time. I wore the Birk sandal for one hour and it was very painful. How can anything this painful be an improvement? I will be patient and do this slowly, but I am worried that the doctor said wear a one inch heel and I am doing the opposite.

Re: BIRKS HURT

MiMi on 2/08/99 at 00:00 (004634)

I agree with you 100%. I bought 2 pairs of Birks and have been trying to break the first pair in for about 4 weeks. They hurt so much I just returned the second pair - not to mention that they are really ugly. I just purchased a pair of Mephisto's. While the price was outrageous they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. When I walk on them I bearly feel the pavement beneath me. They are worth every penny. At this point I will do almost anything to not feel this pain anymore and I think these shoes will make this happen.

BarbJ on 2/08/99 at 00:00 (004637)

Hi Sue--I also agree. I have tried Birks more than once given the wholehearted support I have seen here. Unfortunately they don't work for me either. I have a very high arch, wide front foot and narrow heel. I have a pair of Mephisto sandals with a one inch rise in the heel that I wear around the house. I cannot wear them all day though because my feet begin to hurt after about 3 or 4 hours. I wear a pair of Brooks running shoes which are deep enough for my orthotics. The reason the 1 inch rise in the heel feels good is because by lifting the heel you take the pressure off the stretch of the calf, achilles and plantar fascia. I have not found a shoe I can wear all day without pain. I change to the Mephistos as soon as I get home from work and feet feel better. I do foot exercises, stretching, icing, massaging and warming. These are the things that make my feet feel better. Too bad there's not a magic pill! Best of luck. And if you are the same person who went to Ano Nuevo I am so sorry you had a bad day--although I hear the elephant seals are the most active in bad weather. Is it true? Barbara

Sue on 2/08/99 at 00:00 (004638)

This is day 2 and I have worn the Birks for 1/2 hour. I took back the Mephistos (Rush model) yesterday. The arch started too far up toward the toe box. However the firm support plus the cushion feel made them my first chioce. I've tried two styles and both have the arch too far forward. We took four scouts to see the seals. The girls loved it despite the weather.

MiMi on 2/08/99 at 00:00 (004646)

If you want to try the Mephisto's try the Holiday style or the clogs named Audrey. They are very comfortable. Also the sizes run differently. I needed a 7 in the clog and I always wear a size six.
I though the Rush model was uncomfortable also. Good luck.

MiMi