Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotripsy in the U.S.

Posted by Alicia on 2/08/99 at 00:00 (004645)

Does anyone know if there are plans to provide this therapy in the U.S.? It would seem that the concept is not new (same as lithotripsy) so no major regulations would have to be passed and MD's/Pods would not have to go through major certification. So many of us might benefit from this if it were more accesible in states. Thanks

Re: Orthotripsy in the U.S.

John G on 2/09/99 at 00:00 (004661)

Alicia, The FDA studies that are required before the general public can be treated on tne OssaTron are just about to wrap up. Naturally the results are not availabe yet but I understand that they went better than anticipated. The operational Orthotripsy clinic in Toronto is so close to the States (you can see Rochester NY across the lake) and the $ exchange rate so attractive to Americans, that alot of patients are turning their Ossatron treatment into a mini holiday. Orthotripsy Canada can be reached at 1-888-274-6610 Good Luck!

BillC. on 2/09/99 at 00:00 (004664)

Does the Orthotripsy Clinic in Toronto give you your money back if the treatments do not work?

suzi on 2/09/99 at 00:00 (004673)

John Grant please let me know what your e-mail address is, I have some questions for you.
thanks
Suzi
puglover1@mindspring.com

Roz on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004684)

I got the Ossatron in November in Canada. The doctors there determined
I did NOT have PF after doing an ultrasound; they thought it could help
anyway. Unfortunately, I am in the same amount of pain as before. I was
not too happy that they lowered the price ~$900 just weeks after I got it
done. I don't have a job due to pain and my insurance didn't pay for a non-FDA approved procedure. On top of that, I had to pay for the travel expenses for me and my folks.
I talked to John G who just claimed it was supply and demand and he didn't
offer any refund for the difference. He said he would look into getting me a retreatment
for free but that was weeks ago and he hasn't called back since.

My suggestions are:

1) DO NOT get the Ossatron unless you have proof that you have PF. It
has helped people who REALLY have PF.

2) Wait and have it done in the US so that your insurance pays. Also, the
people in Canada were nice in the beginning but weren't too responsive
to email and or calling back when they said they would. This also happened
to at least one other person.

The only positive thing about the trip was that I got a definitive diagnosis
that I DON'T have PF, so I don't regret the trip entirely. Apparently, they don't do ultrasound in US for orthopedic (or they are just starting to).

John G on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004686)

Roz, I was there when Dr. Galea and Schaden told you that you did not have PF. They did tell you that OrthoTripsy MAY or May not help. It was your choice to proceed. As far as the price reduction a few weeks after your treatment goes, this is only temporary and will end very soon as the preliminary FDA results are in and are looking very good. I really do feel badly that the proceedure did not work for you and that you incurred alot of expenses getting here, but you have to understand that these people spent almost $ 5000,000 US for the Ossatron, flew Dr. Schaden in from Vienna while paying his salary for a week, and had to pay Dr. Galea's salary that week also. As far as the retreatment issue goes, I did leave a message with Dr. Galea to call you but he obviously has not. I wish that you had phoned me earlier to let me know and I would have called him again. My offer however stands for a free retreatment. I will call him again today on your behalf. As far as your sujestion # 1 goes, you are absolutely right. Please get a definitive diagnosis before comming for treatment. If you want to take a chance and have an Ultrasound done here for a definitive diagnosis with the understanding that if you do not have PF you will not be treated on the OssaTron, I am sure that it can be arranged. Dr. Galea is asking for alot more history now as a result of a rush of people showing up for treatment without PF.
Your Comment #2, You have Orthotripsy Canada's # but if not it is 1-888-274-6610 or e mail at (email removed). Cheryl Huller is the coordinator there and rarely misses a call. Cheryl returns ALL calls promply as far as I know. If you would like to speak with me directly my # is 905-939-8607. Trying to reach Dr. Galea is almost impossible, so go through Cheryl. Good Luck!

John G on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004687)

Suzi, Call me directly at 905-939-8607 if you wish, or although I hate e mail my # is (email removed). I have not spoken to you in weeks and would like to hear how your recovery is proceeding.

John G on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004688)

BillC. Dr. Galea relies on the published medical literature and Quotes the fact that 80-90% of people experience significant to total improvement after ONE Orthotripsy treatment. These # are based on thousands of cases worldwide and are absolutely STATISTICALLY proven. Dr. Galea is getting even better #s since he started doing Orthotripsy in Nov98. When Surgeons, Podiatrists, Chiropracters and Accupuncturests start offering money back offers I am sure that Dr. Galea will as well, as he would be giving back alot less than many of them to true PF patients.

BillC. on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004689)

John G,

I know there were some test and studies done at Emory in Atlanta. Do you know the results? Are you affilated with the Clinic at Emory that has the Ossatron?

Doug on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004693)

Roz:

How does ultrasound show if you have PF?

ossatron on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004697)

pf involves a certain amount of swelling of the pf. an ultrasound can measure the amount of swelling within certain parameters. This is how it was explained to me during my visit to Toronto.

John G on 2/11/99 at 00:00 (004723)

Bill, To be honest, I only know that the trials are going extremely well. The results are very confidential and have not been shared with me. I have no connection with any US account or clinical site. My responsibility is only for Canadian projects. If you would like the story that recently was on the front page of the Medical Post faxed to you, give Cheryl a call at Orthotripsy Canada at 1-888-274-6610. Good Luck and feel free to call me at 905-939-8607 if you have any additional questions.

Roz on 2/12/99 at 00:00 (004740)

I know I was told that the Orthotripsy MAY or MAY NOT help
which is why I never expected a total refund. What I had a
problem with is the price reduction just weeks after I got it
done. You would have had to have Dr. Schaden come out
regardless to train Dr. Galea. In fact, I knew he was already
coming up before I signed up. I'm sure his trip would not be
cancelled if I and the others from the US did not come up.

I still believe in the Ossatron for people who really have PF.
All the people I talked to who really had it got better; those
who didn't didn't get better.