Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

birks vs ecco vs scholls...

Posted by Jenny Lewis on 2/09/99 at 00:00 (004660)

I have just discovered Birks, bought the inserts and a pair of sandals (on sale) and my feet just love them. But I can understand how they could be uncomfortable for some people. Our feet shapes are all SO different. They certainly look a fright though, when I look down at my feet I shriek. I tried to describe them to my sister, over the phone, she laughed so much I think it must have been a fairly accurate description! She has asked if she can now call me Bigfoot, or Yeti, Yet for short.

I wore Scholls many many years ago, and eventually loved them, but they took ages to get used to, and when I first got them I thought I had made a mistake, BUT it was a bit of a fashion thing then, and all my friends wore them, so ....!

More recently, I've had some Ecco shoes that just lasted and lasted for years, so the initial expense was definitely worth it. I don't have any at the moment, but will wait until this foot thing has been properly diagnosed before I do any more shoe shopping.

I'm now waiting for an appointment to go for an x-ray, to confirm whether there is an actual spur or not.

Keep smiling, fellow Bigfoots, If anyone annoys you, stand on their toes.

jl

Re: birks vs ecco vs scholls...

suzanne on 2/09/99 at 00:00 (004671)

Jenny,
Are you referring to Dr. Scholls? I was just diagnosed less than amonth ago and have 2 pair of dr. Scholl's sandal-type footweaar and find them comfortable but I don't know if they are truly good for my feet. All I usually read about is Birkenstock. I have high arches, which contribute to the problem. Would appreciate if you could detail your comment on Scholls and let me know what style you had and what you know about them. Thanks for you help.

Jenny Lewis on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004685)

Hi Suzanne

Yes, Dr Scholls - but when I wore them all those years ago as I mentioned they were a fashion sort of thing, can you believe it! They were the very plain wooden shaped base, with a one inch wide, approx, leather strap across the front. They were difficult to get used to, because you had to grip with your toes to hold on to these rather heavy solid 'flip-flops'. I had a pair of them for many years, but didn't often wear them outdoors after a while. I would get home from work or wherever and change into them to clump around the house, they were incredibly comfortable.

Now I'm getting used to the new Birks for clumping around the house, and also the inserts for putting into my shoes for the big wide world, and they are even more comfortable than I remember the Scholls. But, my memory may not be what it was. And it was never very much!

jl

Shelby on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004700)

I had a pair of the Dr Scholl's Sasshay's for years. They were made of hard rubber and molded to your foot. They were the most comfortable shoes I've ever had...however they are no longer made.