Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for John G about Bone Scans

Posted by Doug on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004692)


I called Dr. Galea about Orthotripsy and he said that patients need to get a bone scan to determine if you have PF. What a bone scan is, for those interested, is a dye is injected into your arm. This dye collects in areas where there has been bone growth or some change in bone. An X-ray of sorts is then done on the foot which reveals this dye. If the dye is concentrated near/on the plantar fascia, it proves one has PF.

I spoke to my Podiatrist about this and, although he says I have PF, he thinks the bone scan might not reveal much. My pain is not concentrated at the heel, but is more of a diffuse pain across the bottom of both feet. He thinks the dye wouldn't really collect. I also don't have spurs. If it is concentrated anywhere, the pain is in the arch. Can you comment on this, and say what a bone scan really shows, and if Orthotripsy might help someone like me?

Re: Question for John G about Bone Scans

John G on 2/11/99 at 00:00 (004724)

Doug, Whatever Dr. Galea recomends, I would listen to. He has a very good reputation in Canada, does alot of teaching and lecturing, and treates some of the very top athletes. Give Cheryl a call at Orthotripsy Canada to get the Medical Post story faxed to you. I think that you will find it interesting. You can reach them at 1-888-274-6610.