Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TENS units -- can they help?

Posted by Doug on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004694)

In my unending quest to find something to at least alleviate symptoms, I'm thinking of buying/renting a T.E.N.S. unit. This stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation. It basically consists of a few electrodes that you stick to the skin, and small electrical pulses stimulate the muscles and nerves. Maybe is would also stimulate blood flow? Has anyone tried this with any success?

Re: TENS units -- can they help?

Annette on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004695)

I had one for severe pain after foot surgery. They are expensive to rent/buy. They are supposed to relieve pain. It did absolutley nothing for me, but may help someone else. I do not have much faith in a tens unit.

CJ on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004698)

Never had any good usage for a Ten's Unit.
They are good for some, but never had much faith in them.
I think they are just a thing that the doctors can get more money for, but that is just my opinion.

Hope things go well for you.
I have tried all, and am possibly awaiting surgery. It has been a long trip trying to get it all taken care of.
Mine happened because of a car accident.
Hope you have better luck than I did.

This board does a lot of good for alot of people.

Thanks,
CJ

suzi on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004699)

Doug, rent one for a month and see if it helps. I did this and didn't return it on time and I ended up paying $600 for the useless piece of equipment. Try it before you buy it. Your physical therapist should be able to rent you one.

Judy on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004709)

The physical therapist whom I was seeing recommended that I use one about a year ago. I rented one for a month. It was totally useless and MUCH more bother than it was worth.

When I later went to have an EMG to test nerve function I mentioned it to the neurologist. She said there is absolutely no clinical evidence that they work at all; if it works it is because of the placebo effect.

Marie e on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004710)

Have seen them used in hospital for about 8 years, then they disappeared because I think the Doc's and the patients found no benefit from them. save your money.

Re: TENS units -- can they help?-might! try and find out for your self!

Lyndel on 2/10/99 at 00:00 (004712)

Doug,

Interesting that no one seems to like the tens unit. My wife got one after our auto accident which we both got severe whip lash. My wife had intense back pain and the hooked her up to a tens unit. She said at first the set it to high and it was making her jump all over the place! (since this happened at the same time to both my wife and I we are good friends with our PT now!) My wife's PT did this on purpose just to see her jump he said! :~) We all got a good laugh out of it untill they wanted to put one on me! I said NO WAY! I've worked as an electronic technician for the past 15 years and have had enough high voltage shocks! Anyway... my wife liked it when it's set to the right voltage, current and pulse rate. What it does is stress (or rather fatigue) the muscles so that it numbs the nerves and kills the pain. Thats all it does tho. Releives the pain. It does NOT do any healing! I've heard from other electronic techs that feel it has healing power for all sorts of health problems but I'll believe it when I see it! I know, I'm a skeptic! Anyway, if you know someone good at electronics, there are kits out there where you can build one for your self for about 5 dollars, yep, 5 bucks

I'm sure there is one posted on the web somewhere you could at least read about!

good luck,

Lyndel in Montana where the icy roads are really bad to day :~)

Doug on 2/11/99 at 00:00 (004728)

Seems like the TENS unit scores a big Zilcho.