Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Your opinion please!

Posted by Sandy in Ohio on 2/12/99 at 00:00 (004763)

I haven't been on this board for a while due to being too busy and I will admit,I missed it! At any rate, I went to physical therapy for my six sessions and was beginning to feel a little encouraged...not completly pain free, but encouraged nonetheless. I continued to do my stretching exercises faithfully, but noticed a bumb on my heel which hurts even now to touch. I went to the podiatrist on Monday, and brought this to his attention. He told me the bump was from all the stretching that PT recommended and to eliminate two exercises. So now
I have stopped all my stretching exercises (seems like I defeated going to PT, when at first I was encouraged) as my heel seems to be more swollen now and the bumb hurts. Has this happened to anyone? I'm seriously thinking of checking with an orthopedic surgeon.
My doctor also suggested that I purchase good running shoes to wear most of the time, an insert and to continue wearing shoes with 1 inch heels or more. I'm to return to him in two months.Has anyone else ever been given these suggestions?
I'm so grateful for this board...only those of us who are going through this really understand. I can't even begin to explain the pain from standing...Thanks for listening.

Re: Your opinion please!

Sue on 2/13/99 at 00:00 (004768)

I went to a podiatrist for the first time on Thurs. It was very depressing. In writing I listed all the remedies I have tried to date. He simply wasn't listening, filled out a presciption for ibuprophen, taped my foot, and said there wasn't much hope. I pointed out I already had taken ibuprophen 800 mgx3/day for inflammation. Been there done that...He liked my Birk inserts which I wear with a one inch heel. Unfortunately, I have been wearing these every day for two months with no relief. Taping the foot is a joke. I actually took in 3 prs of shoes for him to review. He really likes cushion. He says I have very little heel padding which has irritated the bursa on the bottom of my foot. Sorry I can't be more positive.

julia on 2/13/99 at 00:00 (004773)

My podiatrist recommened the running shoes (they also have to be non flexible, which means if you take the front of the shoe in one had and the back of the shoe in the other hand and try to bend them togther they should not bend...) with a 1 inch heel, which can be deceiving, since a lot of running shoes look like they have an elevated heel but really dont. He also forbid any sandals of any kind and I even asked him about the Birks and he said no, only tie shoes. Well, when you are in pain you will try things just to get releif,so tried the Birks and they were the only thing that comforted my feet!

Sandy in Ohio on 2/13/99 at 00:00 (004789)

Thank you Julia for the tip. When I go to get my running shoe this weekend, I will make sure they are not flexible. And I'm glad to hear your doctor suggested the same thing!

Sandy in Ohio on 2/13/99 at 00:00 (004790)

I would think your podiatrist would be more helpful and encouraging. Try to take some of the suggestions on this board--it's cheaper too. I would also get another podiatrist also. My podiatrist taped my foot even when I told him it's a waste of time. He did it anyway; I kept it on for three days. Don't waste your time with cortisone shots either. Keep checking this board...the support for it is what helps me psychologically...

Cheryl R. on 2/14/99 at 00:00 (004794)

Please have your foot checked and x-rayed. I ended up with a stress fracture in my right foot because of the heel spur. The podiatrist told me the swelling in my foot was from standing to much. After 3 months of severe pain and swelling and being told to take Tylenol by the podiatrist, I went directly to my Primary Care Physician who sent me for x-rays and found the fracture. I had already walked on it for 3 months...The bone had to be broken, as it started healing wrong and I was in a cast for 6 weeks.

scott on 2/14/99 at 00:00 (004797)

Tylenol doesn't help inflammation. That was some bad advice he gave.

Sandy in Ohio on 2/14/99 at 00:00 (004815)

Thank you Cheryl for sharing your experience. My foot is swollen too; I can't take anti-inflammatory drugs;tylenol is all I can take for pain, so it doesn't really help much. I will call my primary care physican to set up an appointment. Too much time has already lasped!