Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Doctor said tape it

Posted by Sue on 2/13/99 at 00:00 (004770)

Does taping help? It was taped yesterday and the tape has almost fallen off. This seems to be a useless technique. Any comments?

Re: Doctor said tape it

bjc on 2/13/99 at 00:00 (004778)

Taping has been one of the things that has worked the best. I was able to walkaround while on vacation in New Orleans, and also stood throughout the Sugar Bowl game. The tape stayed on for 9 days! You have to keep it dry, and wash around it. I have also found an inexpensive ankle wrap ($7.00) that is almost, but not quite as good. I can wear it all day over a sock with fairly good results. Paired with Lodine, heat, ice and exercise I can get throug each day, but I do see surgery in my future.

barbara2 on 2/13/99 at 00:00 (004785)

I found taping to be a real help, but be careful! I begged the DR. to do it for 9 straight weeks. Big mistake! I've been two weeks without tape and now the skin on the bottom of my feet is coming off! ( Not just dry flaky (sorry for all the detail, but REALLY be careful!) skin, but kinda deep)
So don't tape too long, and really try to keep it dry!
I really wish EVERYTHING didn't have to be such a learning experience!
(Sorry to be flip, but if I don't keep laughin', I'm gonna start cryin').

scott on 2/14/99 at 00:00 (004799)

I still have to tape everyday, but I make sure to take it off at night to let the skin dry out and 'rejuvinate'.

Jill on 2/14/99 at 00:00 (004814)

I tape daily when my foot isn't feeling strong and then take it off each night. they make a lightweight underwrap tape you can put underneath your sticky tape.

Dayna on 2/16/99 at 00:00 (004856)

I had the same thing happen, the skin actually began to peel off and itch like crazy, I had developed a sensitivity to the glue they use to keep the tape on. We did try putting a layer of gauze and then the glue and tape, which helped a little but not really, most important was to keep it dry. I would be going crazy until I took my hairdryer to work, it sounded strange (probably assisted in my eventual 'forced' resignation) but it was so wonderful to blowdry the tape nice and dry again, stopped the itch.

If I ever got taped again, I would try to talk them into using an ace bandage or something rather than glue and tape, it really was quite disgusting until it finally cleared up. It will go away as the new skin underneath grows in. Good luck.