Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF - NSAID - Anyone tried Lodine (Etodolac) ???

Posted by Diane R. on 2/13/99 at 00:00 (004775)

This is a FU - I have PF but also have other joint/connective tissue problems. I went this past week for a 2nd visit on my torn rotator cuff/tendonitis- and was prescribed Lodine which is also known as: Etodolac or Ultrdol. I had given up taking the Relafen as it did nothing.

On my own I had switched to extra strength Doan's (an over the counter anti-inflammatory) which contains Magnesium Salicylate. It had been providing some relief but the dr. wanted to switch me to this Lodine. Probably because it is prescription (and I think sometimes dr.'s get some credits (goodies like free trips) with the drug companies for prescribing their meds - sort of a rebate for dr.'s) Anyway - this Lodine, also seems to be helping.

Upon checking the internet at 'Virtual Drug Store'... they listed 25 approved drugs for arthritis/inflammation including: magnesium salicylate, naproxen, naproxen sodium, and Lodine... as all of a class of drugs that 'inhibit prostaglandin synthesis at sites of inflammation'.

The first visit to my dr. I told him I had used naproxen a few years ago for a tendon injury after trying several samples etc and had ended up concluding that naproxen worked the best for me then. Of course he did not prescribe it for me as he wanted to 'try the new stuff'. I think they get incentives to keep pushing the new stuff that has no generic eqiv. etc.

I passing all this along to this PF site to let you know how active you must be in your own treatment of pain/inflammation or any medical problem. Sometimes there are reasons you get those 'free samples'... you need to be persistant if they don't work for you and if after a week they aren't doing it switch to somethingelse.

This Virtual Drug Store site with the 25 NSAIDs list did not have on it Relafen or Daypro - both which have proved useless to me and both of which every dr. the last 4 yrs. has tried to get me to take... interesting?

Re: PF - NSAID - Anyone tried Lodine (Etodolac) ???

eileen on 2/13/99 at 00:00 (004776)

Hi, I did try lodine , in fact I was given samples of 6 different anti-inflamatories till I found one that decreased the pain and inflamation. I tried all of my orthopedic MD's samples with no sucess, and then he wrote me a small script for an older med that he had no sample for me to try and that one was sucessfull. I am currently taking clinoril the generic is sulinidac. I take 200mg twice a day and feel it does help. I have been off and on it now for a few years, I have gone 2-6 months with no meds and then for no reason I will have increased heel pain. If I restart the med, within 5 days the pain is gone. Of course I continue to stretch twice a day faithfully. Good luck on your search for the right med for you. Everybody is different and something that works for one will not necessarily work for you. Keep up the search , it is worth the hassle.----eileen

Chris on 2/13/99 at 00:00 (004783)

I was given Lodine XL after taking Naproxen on and off for 4 months. It did not make any more difference than Nap. However my insurance only payed a small part of it and it cost me $25 for 2 weeks worth! He just changed me to Feldene. Hope it works better.

Robin on 2/13/99 at 00:00 (004784)

I took about a week's worth of Lodine XL last year to calm the inflamation in a ripped knee ligament. Actually, it didn't help my knee much but it did help my feet. Nice med while I was on it. I have been taking Relafen for about a week now (for arthritis in my hands) -- like you, I am unimpressed with it. I quit it today (gave it a week, saw about a 15% improvement, not enough to continue swallowing it). Diane, I remember your earlier posts about Doan's. I think if I do the OTC route, I'll give Doan's a shot. It sounds like as good a bet as anything else. I do share your concern about the cavalier attitude of docs prescribing meds; they seem to have their favorites regardless of what the patient's history indicates. The 'new stuff' ALWAYS demands more action out of my wallet than I'd like; but there I hold the insurance industry responsible, since 'formulary' drug plans seem to exclude an increasing # of drugs that the physicians of 1999 are prescribing. Kind of has the appearance of a no-win, doesn't it?