Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Calorad and PF

Posted by Mary on 2/15/99 at 00:00 (004839)

I have been hearing a commercial for a weight loss product available at a local pharmacy for over a year. I checked it out and decided to give it a try as I really want to loose about 40 lbs. It is called Calorad.
It can take several months to see results but it has really helped my PF

Before I go any further I don't have anything to do with this product. I don't know where anyone can find it.

The flyer says it ' is a nutritional supplement often used as a fat and inch loss product. It is a collagen proten formula that supports the body's lean muscle tissue...'
It is (or has) L-hydroxyproline which 'plays a major role in the manufacture of collagen, connective tissue, skin, tendons, bones and cartilage.'
Also assists in muscle tone, increase stamina, shorten work-out recovery time and strengthen joints.

You take a Tablespoon at bedtime and follow it with 7 oz of water. It doesn't taste very good. But I can get it down if the water is really cold and I chase it really fast. It is suppose to taste like peach.

After the 3rd day i have was able to get out of bed with only slight discomfort. I no longer wake up with pain because my feet are pointing down. I had been sleeping with then against a pillow to help keep them flexed.

I will admit though as the day goes on they do hurt more but even that is getting better.

I really don't understand the Calorad that well but have been very suprised at this added side effect.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has tried this.

Mary

Re: Calorad and PF

Carolyn on 2/17/99 at 00:00 (004888)

I can't comment about calorad helping PF - but I can tell you that it is just another 'snake oil' in the quest to find an easy way to lose weight. A friend of mine had her pharmacist husband check out the contents of Calorad, and he said there didn't seem to be anything in it to hurt you - but there was nothing in it that should help with weight loss either.

The people I know who tried it and successfully lost weight also cut back on fat and calories, and increased excerise. My guess is the diet and exercise were the factors in the weight loss - not the calorad. I also tried the ghastly tasting stuff, and found I was only lighter by the $50 spent on the product. Shame on me. I know better than to try weight loss voodoo.

But, if it helps your PF, why not.
Carolyn

Scott on 2/16/99 at 00:00 (004864)

Yes, the L-hydroxyproline is a key component of forming collagen (i.e. new stronger tissue for the fascia). Combine this with lysine, grape seed extract, and vitamin C and you've got the best available stuff for forming strong tissue (which includes the fascia). Throw in some androstenedione (testosterone precursor) and no other medicine could do better.

Carolyn on 2/17/99 at 00:00 (004888)

I can't comment about calorad helping PF - but I can tell you that it is just another 'snake oil' in the quest to find an easy way to lose weight. A friend of mine had her pharmacist husband check out the contents of Calorad, and he said there didn't seem to be anything in it to hurt you - but there was nothing in it that should help with weight loss either.

The people I know who tried it and successfully lost weight also cut back on fat and calories, and increased excerise. My guess is the diet and exercise were the factors in the weight loss - not the calorad. I also tried the ghastly tasting stuff, and found I was only lighter by the $50 spent on the product. Shame on me. I know better than to try weight loss voodoo.

But, if it helps your PF, why not.
Carolyn