Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Here a shoe, there a shoe

Posted by Lisa in Va on 2/17/99 at 00:00 (004895)

Okay, I was told by my doctor today not to go barefooted . I've seen a lot of talk here about Birk sandals, Ecco, Mephisto, etc. I'm really confused. I have nearly flat feet and they are wide. Is there anyone out there with this kind of foot who can tell me what worked for them? Thanks.

Re: Here a shoe, there a shoe

suzi on 2/17/99 at 00:00 (004900)

Lisa, I too have really flat feet and I have been wearing the regular birkenstocks for several years now, and don't feel that they give me enough support. I recently bought a pair of 'tatami' birkenstocks and find them to be much more comfortable than the regular birks and they don't take as long to break in. My feet also don't hurt when I wear them, they feel like slippers to me
They have a higher arch and provide more stability for my feet, so it's worth looking into. They're not for everyone since the arch is higher and the footbed is deeper, but give it a try, you can always return them. I ordered them from 1-800-birks-4-u that lots of people have mentioned on the board.
good luck

Dayna on 2/17/99 at 00:00 (004903)

Flipper foot, that's me. I wear flat tight-lace-up Easy Spirit and have custom orthotics. I cannot wear sandals or slip-ons, must wear lace ups just as tight as I can get them. Must agree, never barefoot, never stand up barefoot, don't even be barefoot sitting down, heck, I'm not even barefoot in bed or in the shower. You might not be in such need, but it's worth it for me to keep the PF manageable.

Robin on 2/17/99 at 00:00 (004904)

I can vouch for Birkenstocks. I have very wide feet. My arch was high at one time, but it is rapidly falling due to age. When I put my foot down, I can literally see it sag. I can also actually feel the plantar fascia stretch over it. Developed full blown PF last summer. I was in wicked pain. I mean makes-you-wanna-cry-all-day-long pain. I did not find the help of a podiatrist useful; also, have not found stretching to be helpful. I ice only occasionally when I genuinely need it.

Since December I have acquired 5 pairs of Birkenstocks (some on sale, and all on plastic). These are expensive ugly shoes -- but for me they help considerably. It is entirely in the arch. The heel bed is low, the arch is high. It takes some people awhile to get used to them; it only took me about 3 days but other report up to 2 weeks. The minute my arch goes into a shoe that doesn't have such powerful support -- I can feel the difference immediately. Back to Birks.

I also take 2000 mgs of glucosamine sulfate and about 1500 mgs of vitamin C per day. Don't know if they are helping or not. But I am feeling somewhat better lately and so I have decided not to stop doing what I've been doing.

Chris on 2/18/99 at 00:00 (004924)

What do you wear in bed? Also, did you take the insoles out of your Easy Spirits before you put your orthotics in them?

Dayna on 2/18/99 at 00:00 (004926)

Easy Spirit and orthotics. The thing to do to keep them from binding on the sheets is to put nylons on over so they slide. No, there is not a removable insole, my orthotics just go in. For shower I have really tight-lacing canvas deck shoes and I wrap my arch up like crazy before I put them on, plus I have a bench in the shower, so I never actually really stand without my orthotics.

Re: Here a shoe, there a shoe For Dayna

Mary Ann on 2/18/99 at 00:00 (004929)

'Im just wondering what your pain status is.Are you pain free most of the time? I probably need new shoes, but I have been wearing orthotics for 10 years, these are hard, they no longer use this material. The POD. had me continue to wear them, but I still have heel pain, feels like a spike in the bottom, and I have returned working as a nurse and after 1 day my foot is really sore all over. Ice helps a little, but I always have pain. I have been wearing Easy Spiirt for work. Thanks

Dayna on 2/19/99 at 00:00 (004939)

Bearable most days, but if I have to go anywhere where I'm going to walk, stand, walk, stand I take a canechair along so I can walk, sit, walk, sit. Also, if I know I am going to have to do much walking I get mentally prepped to make the most of it because I will pay for it with days of inactivity. If it gets really bad I take Daypro but I try not to do that very often or I'll get dependent upon it, to get along I really do have to do everything I can to keep my tolerance for pain up. I have hard orthotics without which I would be in a wheelchair and/or contemplating amputating both feet.

Donna on 2/20/99 at 00:00 (004964)

How come you haven't considered surgery?

Dayna on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (004992)

Not an option. My PF tendon is too short and under too much strain, that is why I grew heel spurs pointed straight toward the toe, the bodies attempt to shorten the distance the tendon has to stretch and take the strain off. That worked for apparently many years, until it just couldn't take the strain anymore. Surgery to remove the heel spur would leave the tendon with nothing to attach to, instant and permanent wheelchair just like a paraplegic. Surgery to thin the tendon to allow it to stretch more would leave it extremely vulnerable to snapping under the strain of walking, again, instant and permanent wheelchair.

suzi on 2/17/99 at 00:00 (004900)

Lisa, I too have really flat feet and I have been wearing the regular birkenstocks for several years now, and don't feel that they give me enough support. I recently bought a pair of 'tatami' birkenstocks and find them to be much more comfortable than the regular birks and they don't take as long to break in. My feet also don't hurt when I wear them, they feel like slippers to me
They have a higher arch and provide more stability for my feet, so it's worth looking into. They're not for everyone since the arch is higher and the footbed is deeper, but give it a try, you can always return them. I ordered them from 1-800-birks-4-u that lots of people have mentioned on the board.
good luck

Dayna on 2/17/99 at 00:00 (004903)

Flipper foot, that's me. I wear flat tight-lace-up Easy Spirit and have custom orthotics. I cannot wear sandals or slip-ons, must wear lace ups just as tight as I can get them. Must agree, never barefoot, never stand up barefoot, don't even be barefoot sitting down, heck, I'm not even barefoot in bed or in the shower. You might not be in such need, but it's worth it for me to keep the PF manageable.

Robin on 2/17/99 at 00:00 (004904)

I can vouch for Birkenstocks. I have very wide feet. My arch was high at one time, but it is rapidly falling due to age. When I put my foot down, I can literally see it sag. I can also actually feel the plantar fascia stretch over it. Developed full blown PF last summer. I was in wicked pain. I mean makes-you-wanna-cry-all-day-long pain. I did not find the help of a podiatrist useful; also, have not found stretching to be helpful. I ice only occasionally when I genuinely need it.

Since December I have acquired 5 pairs of Birkenstocks (some on sale, and all on plastic). These are expensive ugly shoes -- but for me they help considerably. It is entirely in the arch. The heel bed is low, the arch is high. It takes some people awhile to get used to them; it only took me about 3 days but other report up to 2 weeks. The minute my arch goes into a shoe that doesn't have such powerful support -- I can feel the difference immediately. Back to Birks.

I also take 2000 mgs of glucosamine sulfate and about 1500 mgs of vitamin C per day. Don't know if they are helping or not. But I am feeling somewhat better lately and so I have decided not to stop doing what I've been doing.

Chris on 2/18/99 at 00:00 (004924)

What do you wear in bed? Also, did you take the insoles out of your Easy Spirits before you put your orthotics in them?

Dayna on 2/18/99 at 00:00 (004926)

Easy Spirit and orthotics. The thing to do to keep them from binding on the sheets is to put nylons on over so they slide. No, there is not a removable insole, my orthotics just go in. For shower I have really tight-lacing canvas deck shoes and I wrap my arch up like crazy before I put them on, plus I have a bench in the shower, so I never actually really stand without my orthotics.

Mary Ann on 2/18/99 at 00:00 (004929)

'Im just wondering what your pain status is.Are you pain free most of the time? I probably need new shoes, but I have been wearing orthotics for 10 years, these are hard, they no longer use this material. The POD. had me continue to wear them, but I still have heel pain, feels like a spike in the bottom, and I have returned working as a nurse and after 1 day my foot is really sore all over. Ice helps a little, but I always have pain. I have been wearing Easy Spiirt for work. Thanks

Dayna on 2/19/99 at 00:00 (004939)

Bearable most days, but if I have to go anywhere where I'm going to walk, stand, walk, stand I take a canechair along so I can walk, sit, walk, sit. Also, if I know I am going to have to do much walking I get mentally prepped to make the most of it because I will pay for it with days of inactivity. If it gets really bad I take Daypro but I try not to do that very often or I'll get dependent upon it, to get along I really do have to do everything I can to keep my tolerance for pain up. I have hard orthotics without which I would be in a wheelchair and/or contemplating amputating both feet.

Donna on 2/20/99 at 00:00 (004964)

How come you haven't considered surgery?

Dayna on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (004992)

Not an option. My PF tendon is too short and under too much strain, that is why I grew heel spurs pointed straight toward the toe, the bodies attempt to shorten the distance the tendon has to stretch and take the strain off. That worked for apparently many years, until it just couldn't take the strain anymore. Surgery to remove the heel spur would leave the tendon with nothing to attach to, instant and permanent wheelchair just like a paraplegic. Surgery to thin the tendon to allow it to stretch more would leave it extremely vulnerable to snapping under the strain of walking, again, instant and permanent wheelchair.