Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Acupuncture failure

Posted by Gina on 2/18/99 at 00:00 (004925)

Sorry to report I've given up after 13 acupuncture treatments. Had a very painful 'reaction' to the 12th treatment and the next treatment only relieved the excess pain from the previous one. Overall improvement might be 25%, but I'm not sure I'll even be able to maintain that level. After 2 years and numerous attempts at treatment, I may have to start looking for a surgeon to do open release. Looks like it's last resort time. Will see a new ortho guy next week--here's his big chance to be a miracle worker! lol! Don't I wish!?!?!

Re: Acupuncture failure

Robin on 2/18/99 at 00:00 (004927)

I'm very sorry to hear acupuncture didn't fix things for you. After some of Debbie's posts, I have been waiting to see the outcome from you and Alex on your results. I am still thinking about it for the future for myself, but time will tell. Again, sorry it didn't work for you Gina. Lately, numerous people have posted positively on this board about surgery, so perhaps it IS a viable option.

Bobbie on 2/18/99 at 00:00 (004932)

I had six treatments and couldn't see where it was helping. The massage treatments I received with the acupuncture felt great but didn't get rid of any of the PF problems. I finally quit rather than to keep pouring out more money. I see the doctor next week to see if I can get my temporary parking pass signed again. I hate using it but if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be able to walk from work to my car. I only get temporary ones because I am determined to beat this thing.

alex on 2/19/99 at 00:00 (004934)

Sorry about your problems with acupuncture. As I've said on several occasions I had significant pain relief from my two series of acupuncture treatments, but I never sensed that the PF was actually being cured. I was still aware of it 24hrs a day, with extreme morning stiffness (went away after good stretches) and varying degrees of discomfort the rest of the day. I finally went to a new Dr - orthopedist - and he convinced me to try a cortisone short. That was 3 wks ago, and I have been feeling beter that at any time in the past 6 mos - virtually no morning stiffness, and only very slight occasional pain. (I have read all that everyone has said about the good effects being temporary, and am taking things very carefully.) The Dr says that for many people cortisone shots can work - but only after about 6 months or so. His theory is that it takes about that amount of time for the body's natutral healing processes to be ready. He recommends trying all kinds of treatment during those first six months - and applauded my choice of acupuncture. He says that after six months or so, the massive anti-inflammatory impact of the cortisone can allow nature to take over. He readily admits that it doesn't work for everyone - but says that it is always worth trying - and repeating twice (max three times) if necessary. So here's hoping........

Helene on 2/19/99 at 00:00 (004940)

I had 10 acupuncture treatments for PF, from a dr. who was highly recommended & had helped a lot of people (not for PF but for many other conditions). Did not help me at all & was getting costly. This dr. only inserted needles in my lower back for my PF. Curious where other people had the needles inserted. In the feet? Perhaps I should try a different acupuncturist. I'd be interested in some comments on this.

Robin on 2/18/99 at 00:00 (004927)

I'm very sorry to hear acupuncture didn't fix things for you. After some of Debbie's posts, I have been waiting to see the outcome from you and Alex on your results. I am still thinking about it for the future for myself, but time will tell. Again, sorry it didn't work for you Gina. Lately, numerous people have posted positively on this board about surgery, so perhaps it IS a viable option.

Bobbie on 2/18/99 at 00:00 (004932)

I had six treatments and couldn't see where it was helping. The massage treatments I received with the acupuncture felt great but didn't get rid of any of the PF problems. I finally quit rather than to keep pouring out more money. I see the doctor next week to see if I can get my temporary parking pass signed again. I hate using it but if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be able to walk from work to my car. I only get temporary ones because I am determined to beat this thing.

alex on 2/19/99 at 00:00 (004934)

Sorry about your problems with acupuncture. As I've said on several occasions I had significant pain relief from my two series of acupuncture treatments, but I never sensed that the PF was actually being cured. I was still aware of it 24hrs a day, with extreme morning stiffness (went away after good stretches) and varying degrees of discomfort the rest of the day. I finally went to a new Dr - orthopedist - and he convinced me to try a cortisone short. That was 3 wks ago, and I have been feeling beter that at any time in the past 6 mos - virtually no morning stiffness, and only very slight occasional pain. (I have read all that everyone has said about the good effects being temporary, and am taking things very carefully.) The Dr says that for many people cortisone shots can work - but only after about 6 months or so. His theory is that it takes about that amount of time for the body's natutral healing processes to be ready. He recommends trying all kinds of treatment during those first six months - and applauded my choice of acupuncture. He says that after six months or so, the massive anti-inflammatory impact of the cortisone can allow nature to take over. He readily admits that it doesn't work for everyone - but says that it is always worth trying - and repeating twice (max three times) if necessary. So here's hoping........

Helene on 2/19/99 at 00:00 (004940)

I had 10 acupuncture treatments for PF, from a dr. who was highly recommended & had helped a lot of people (not for PF but for many other conditions). Did not help me at all & was getting costly. This dr. only inserted needles in my lower back for my PF. Curious where other people had the needles inserted. In the feet? Perhaps I should try a different acupuncturist. I'd be interested in some comments on this.