Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: orthotics vs birks

Posted by Melody on 2/19/99 at 00:00 (004943)

The podiatrist where I live charges $369.00 for orthotics. This is my first experience with this....should I try
birkenstocks first? My husband says yes. I'm interested in what others have experienced--Many thanks!

Sally T. on 2/19/99 at 00:00 (004954)

I agree with your husband. I've had two sets of custom orthotics and several other similar to over the counter that different doctors have recommended. None of these have felt as good as my Birks. My back was killing me prior to me purchasing my first pair of Birks several months ago. I'm seeing a new PT man who doesn't like Birks because he doesn't think they're good for the back. When I told him my back feels better with the Birks he replied, 'Do whatever works for you'. I just ordered my second pair of Birks tonight. Good luck to you!

Re: orthotics vs birks -- and back pain

Angie on 2/21/99 at 00:00 (004978)

I agree, try to Birks first. Mine helped immediately. I must be a rare bird but I did not even have a break in periord. I put them on and wear them with not pain -- just relief. My feet are better (when I am wearing them) and the chronic pain I have had in my hip and back for 5 years is much, much better. Hubby about croaked when he realized I paid $160 for a fully encloed pair of Birks but when I told him that was still less than 3 visits to the chiropractor he settled down. I will probably be a lifer for Birks. I just ordered a pair of their inserts to see if I can salvage any of my other shoes. I'm not too hopeful because I have come to really appreciate the wider toe box in the 6 weeks I've been wearing them.

Good luck in finding something that works for you! I think it is a lot of trial and error.

Nancy on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (004998)

I have purchased orthotics (2 pair) had them adjusted numerous times, paid a large amount of money for computerized evaluations and so on. Nothing has given me the relief of my Birks. I bought a pair of white duty shoes and while they did not make my pain dissappear, they have kept me working for over a year longer than I might have otherwise! They may be expensive but worth every penny. I recommend them to all of my firends, family and coworkers!

Sally T. on 2/19/99 at 00:00 (004954)

I agree with your husband. I've had two sets of custom orthotics and several other similar to over the counter that different doctors have recommended. None of these have felt as good as my Birks. My back was killing me prior to me purchasing my first pair of Birks several months ago. I'm seeing a new PT man who doesn't like Birks because he doesn't think they're good for the back. When I told him my back feels better with the Birks he replied, 'Do whatever works for you'. I just ordered my second pair of Birks tonight. Good luck to you!

Re: orthotics vs birks -- and back pain

Angie on 2/21/99 at 00:00 (004978)

I agree, try to Birks first. Mine helped immediately. I must be a rare bird but I did not even have a break in periord. I put them on and wear them with not pain -- just relief. My feet are better (when I am wearing them) and the chronic pain I have had in my hip and back for 5 years is much, much better. Hubby about croaked when he realized I paid $160 for a fully encloed pair of Birks but when I told him that was still less than 3 visits to the chiropractor he settled down. I will probably be a lifer for Birks. I just ordered a pair of their inserts to see if I can salvage any of my other shoes. I'm not too hopeful because I have come to really appreciate the wider toe box in the 6 weeks I've been wearing them.

Good luck in finding something that works for you! I think it is a lot of trial and error.

Nancy on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (004998)

I have purchased orthotics (2 pair) had them adjusted numerous times, paid a large amount of money for computerized evaluations and so on. Nothing has given me the relief of my Birks. I bought a pair of white duty shoes and while they did not make my pain dissappear, they have kept me working for over a year longer than I might have otherwise! They may be expensive but worth every penny. I recommend them to all of my firends, family and coworkers!