Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Part Two of the previous message

Posted by JM on 2/20/99 at 00:00 (004972)

I just kept putting it off. My question is can anyone list all my options right now, including surgeries, physical therapy, iontophoresis and ultrasound, myofascial release, orthotic devices (including night splinting), etc. I realize that I myself just listed a lot of options, but what I am really seeking here is feedback from people who may have had presentations similar to mine and what may have worked for them. I am pretty desperate since I'd like to return to my former lifestyle (running, soccer, hiking) and I don't see this happening as much as I'd like if I don't get this fixed. I am able to use the treadmill for light jogging for 30-40 minutes but the foot nags at me throughout. A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL WHO CAN HELP

!

Re: Part Two of the previous message

Bea on 2/20/99 at 00:00 (004975)

Please read past messages. There is a wealth of info here. It is a very individual problem and you must see what works for you.

BarbJ on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (004993)

I have had pf for over 2 years now and have tried everything on this site. And I still do heat, ice, and stretch. I have now been on a serious regimen of foot strengthening exercises for the past month and go to physical therapy once a week. My orthopedic guy says this will work and is the only way to cure the underlying problem which he says is my weak feet. He also says it may take up to six months but is definitely THE cure (he had pf for 3 years before he tried this. Well, I am still skeptical but am definitely into the exercises and do feel my feet are definitely getting stronger. After a month I do feel like my right heel is getting slightly (knock on wood!) better but have not noticed any change in my left heel. My left heel has always been worse than my right anyway. If this does not work after 6 months I believe I will try the new Ossatron treatment. Anyway, no cortisone--orthopedist says he never gives cortisone shots in the heel as it may destroy the heel pad and cause all kinds of even more serious problems. (I did have one shot which did nothing for me before I changed from the podiatrist to the ortho.) I will keep you posted on my progress. And I cannot say it enough--thank you all for being here.

Dayna on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (004994)

1) Don't expect to resume your previous lifestyle. That sounds harsh, it's meant to. Many of us have had our lives forever changed by PF. I don't mean that you won't be one of those people who make a full recovery (I prefer the term remission), just that it is better in my mind to be prepared for the other possibility. I found it much easier to live with the PF once I accepted the limitations it placed on me, worked within the bounds of my abilities, never gave up hope of a better outcome.

2) If you haven't, get a full checkout by a physician other than a foot doctor, just in case there are other things causing the symptoms of PF.

3) Realize that if you do recover, it will take time, and that you can never be guaranteed that it won't recur.

4) Get a good checkout from a podiatrist or orthopedist, more important than which one is to get a good one, some people here have had horrors from podiatrists and swear by orthopedists, I have very good luck with my podiatrist, it's the primary physician who is an idiot.

5) Keep going until you find someone who is willing to help, this could take time too.

6) Go the least invasive first, try taping, good supportive shoes, inserts, custom inserts, acupuncture, surgery as a last resort, cortizone never. I had taping and one cortizone shot, the shot was worse than the PF. Some people here swear by acupuncture, others were not helped. Surgery can be successful, lately there have been some encouraging posts although previously we only seemed to hear primarily about the failures.

debbie on 2/24/99 at 00:00 (005039)

JM I never thought I would ever get back to my normal life either untio as a last resort I tried acupuncture and it worked. I do anything I want, including aerobics 3 times a week and walking on the off days! Try it, maybe it will work for you. There is hope. Debbie

Bea on 2/20/99 at 00:00 (004975)

Please read past messages. There is a wealth of info here. It is a very individual problem and you must see what works for you.

BarbJ on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (004993)

I have had pf for over 2 years now and have tried everything on this site. And I still do heat, ice, and stretch. I have now been on a serious regimen of foot strengthening exercises for the past month and go to physical therapy once a week. My orthopedic guy says this will work and is the only way to cure the underlying problem which he says is my weak feet. He also says it may take up to six months but is definitely THE cure (he had pf for 3 years before he tried this. Well, I am still skeptical but am definitely into the exercises and do feel my feet are definitely getting stronger. After a month I do feel like my right heel is getting slightly (knock on wood!) better but have not noticed any change in my left heel. My left heel has always been worse than my right anyway. If this does not work after 6 months I believe I will try the new Ossatron treatment. Anyway, no cortisone--orthopedist says he never gives cortisone shots in the heel as it may destroy the heel pad and cause all kinds of even more serious problems. (I did have one shot which did nothing for me before I changed from the podiatrist to the ortho.) I will keep you posted on my progress. And I cannot say it enough--thank you all for being here.

Dayna on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (004994)

1) Don't expect to resume your previous lifestyle. That sounds harsh, it's meant to. Many of us have had our lives forever changed by PF. I don't mean that you won't be one of those people who make a full recovery (I prefer the term remission), just that it is better in my mind to be prepared for the other possibility. I found it much easier to live with the PF once I accepted the limitations it placed on me, worked within the bounds of my abilities, never gave up hope of a better outcome.

2) If you haven't, get a full checkout by a physician other than a foot doctor, just in case there are other things causing the symptoms of PF.

3) Realize that if you do recover, it will take time, and that you can never be guaranteed that it won't recur.

4) Get a good checkout from a podiatrist or orthopedist, more important than which one is to get a good one, some people here have had horrors from podiatrists and swear by orthopedists, I have very good luck with my podiatrist, it's the primary physician who is an idiot.

5) Keep going until you find someone who is willing to help, this could take time too.

6) Go the least invasive first, try taping, good supportive shoes, inserts, custom inserts, acupuncture, surgery as a last resort, cortizone never. I had taping and one cortizone shot, the shot was worse than the PF. Some people here swear by acupuncture, others were not helped. Surgery can be successful, lately there have been some encouraging posts although previously we only seemed to hear primarily about the failures.

debbie on 2/24/99 at 00:00 (005039)

JM I never thought I would ever get back to my normal life either untio as a last resort I tried acupuncture and it worked. I do anything I want, including aerobics 3 times a week and walking on the off days! Try it, maybe it will work for you. There is hope. Debbie