Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Planter faciitis combined with CMT

Posted by Joan on 2/21/99 at 00:00 (004983)

I have had plantar fasciitis for two years. Last week I looked into the possibility of buying a wheel chair! Help! I've tried the following: icing, icing alternating with wet heat (Five minutes cold, five minutes hot) also put my feet into a basin with hot water followed by a basin with cold water ), I sleep with my feet in splints (have to take the off to go to the bathroom!), I walk with orthodics in my state of the art running shoes which are extremely soft underfoot, I have had my feet taped (the most relief from pain I've had from any treatment, but the tape has to come off for a shower or bath or they get wet and have to be renewed. Tried having my spouse put the tapes on for me :adhesive tapes over padding but it's not as good as when the podiatrist does it. Also the padding throws off the curve of the orthodics which support my arches. I have very high arches.

What else? Memory fails me! I was so consoled to read of other people's bloody awful pain! Not that I would wish it on anyone, but it helps to know one is not alone.

Oh yes; three weeks ago I was convinced by a rheumatologist to try cortizone shots. He said it would give relief for one to two months. He also said it was not a cure. He gave a topical anascetic, followed by an anascetic injection much as one would have to remove a tooth, then he gave me the cortizone injections in the heels. The most pain came from the anascetic (can't spell it but I sure felt it!)

Sorry this is so morbid, but I don't know what else to try. I am in the process of losing weight (I'm 30 lbs. overweight). It's the only thing I can think of. Oh! I haven't tried acupuncture though I do have a naturopathic doctor who aparently is quite good at it.

If anyone has read this far and has another suggestion, I would appreciate it.

Re: Planter faciitis combined with CMT

Bea on 2/21/99 at 00:00 (004987)

I would certainly try the accupuncture and also give your feet a rest.You mention walking with state of the art running shoes are you talking about excercise walking or just walking to get around. I would certainly stop the excercise walking at this time if that is the case. I am probably gonna catch hell for this but this business of state of the art running shoes, walking shoes, basketball shoes ad nauseum is really the product of fertile advertising minds. Just my opinion.

Steppphanie on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (004991)

Why don't you try surgery? It's better than suffering the rest of your life. I'm in a cast for 4 weeks, but, if this does not work my next step will be surgery. Good Luck

Re: Planter faciitis combined with CMT-Stephanie

Bea on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (005010)

Read the site, you will find that surgury is useless most of the time.If the surgury worked we would all have it. There are at its best, mixed results.

debbie on 2/24/99 at 00:00 (005038)

I don't recommend surgery until you have tried everything else, includint acupuncture. I had surgery in one foot and chose not to have it in the other. My foot has never been the same. I then tried acu and it worked like a miracle for me. I go to Jazzercise 3 times a week and am now a class manager. You have access to a Dr. who you say is good, so what do you have to lose? Nothing
And maybe it will work for you. Try it. Debbie

DIANE 3/2/99 on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005184)

Joan - I can really sympathize with you - I have been suffering for over 2 years with PF - have been to 4 doctors - had 20 injections, tapings, 3 pairs orthodotics, 3 months of accupunture, 6 months 3 times a week of physical therapy and to no avail - i had a four month period of no pain by continuous tapings from one week to the next wearing rubber socks to keep dry with injection therapy and constant high heels all day long - then I went to the gym and its started worse than ever again - now I went to a world reknowned orthopaeist who treats the Knicks and he said surgery from another doctor may be my solution -- I am disgusted too -- i am going to try vitamin therapy and now I am using my night splint which made my foot better today and I will go look for some birkenstocks -- somehow this has to end - I think I will try the new antiinflammatory Celebrex until I see the new doctor -- we should try not to get discouraged - I know someone very obese who had surgery in both feet in NYCity and she is cured now and does not limp or anything so there is hope if you are willing to give surgury a go - but its true that scar tissue could make things worse - you need to go to the best doctors for this -- good luck

suzi on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005188)

I had surgery by one of the 'best' foot and ankle Dr's in the US, and scar tissue will form no matter who does the operation! Whenever tissue is cut, scar tissue will eventually form. Everyone heals differently, some end up with nerve entrapments from the scar tissue and others get lucky
It's all a matter of how ones body heals
!

Bea on 2/21/99 at 00:00 (004987)

I would certainly try the accupuncture and also give your feet a rest.You mention walking with state of the art running shoes are you talking about excercise walking or just walking to get around. I would certainly stop the excercise walking at this time if that is the case. I am probably gonna catch hell for this but this business of state of the art running shoes, walking shoes, basketball shoes ad nauseum is really the product of fertile advertising minds. Just my opinion.

Steppphanie on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (004991)

Why don't you try surgery? It's better than suffering the rest of your life. I'm in a cast for 4 weeks, but, if this does not work my next step will be surgery. Good Luck

Re: Planter faciitis combined with CMT-Stephanie

Bea on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (005010)

Read the site, you will find that surgury is useless most of the time.If the surgury worked we would all have it. There are at its best, mixed results.

debbie on 2/24/99 at 00:00 (005038)

I don't recommend surgery until you have tried everything else, includint acupuncture. I had surgery in one foot and chose not to have it in the other. My foot has never been the same. I then tried acu and it worked like a miracle for me. I go to Jazzercise 3 times a week and am now a class manager. You have access to a Dr. who you say is good, so what do you have to lose? Nothing
And maybe it will work for you. Try it. Debbie

DIANE 3/2/99 on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005184)

Joan - I can really sympathize with you - I have been suffering for over 2 years with PF - have been to 4 doctors - had 20 injections, tapings, 3 pairs orthodotics, 3 months of accupunture, 6 months 3 times a week of physical therapy and to no avail - i had a four month period of no pain by continuous tapings from one week to the next wearing rubber socks to keep dry with injection therapy and constant high heels all day long - then I went to the gym and its started worse than ever again - now I went to a world reknowned orthopaeist who treats the Knicks and he said surgery from another doctor may be my solution -- I am disgusted too -- i am going to try vitamin therapy and now I am using my night splint which made my foot better today and I will go look for some birkenstocks -- somehow this has to end - I think I will try the new antiinflammatory Celebrex until I see the new doctor -- we should try not to get discouraged - I know someone very obese who had surgery in both feet in NYCity and she is cured now and does not limp or anything so there is hope if you are willing to give surgury a go - but its true that scar tissue could make things worse - you need to go to the best doctors for this -- good luck

suzi on 3/02/99 at 00:00 (005188)

I had surgery by one of the 'best' foot and ankle Dr's in the US, and scar tissue will form no matter who does the operation! Whenever tissue is cut, scar tissue will eventually form. Everyone heals differently, some end up with nerve entrapments from the scar tissue and others get lucky
It's all a matter of how ones body heals
!