Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery Results - Your Stories

Posted by Nancy on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (005000)

I had surgery to cut my facia in my right foot on February 5, 1999. It is too soon to tell how it is going to work out but I was wondering what kind of progress I should be making. I'm having trouble with my incision healing. It is about 2 inches long and when the staples were removed, it popped open in the middle. If I wear a bandaid of some sort (a big one!) put my socks and shoes on, the incision get wet and turns white. This is a sign of it not getting enough air. It is frustrating because I can only walk properly if I have a shoe on so that my heel is lifted and there isn't any pulling on the arch.
I would appreciate any experiences, words of advice or suggestions of any kind.
Thanks alot!

Re: Surgery Results - Your Stories

Amber on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (005005)

Hi Nancy. I had surgery on my right foot about a year ago and from that experience, I would advise your doctor to have another look at it to make sure there is no possibility of infection. If everything seems to be okay, I highly reccommend using Vitamin E ointment on your incision. Not the cosmetic type of vitamin E for your face etc. but the kind that you find in the first aid department of your pharmacy. It is wonderful in speeding up the healing process and helps to make the scar almost invisible after a short time. It really is terrific stuff!

Nancy on 2/25/99 at 00:00 (005072)

Thanks Amber;

Actually, I saw my Doctor the other day and sure enough, it is infected! What a setback! He recommended soaking in epsom salt and then applying polysporin cream covered with a bandaid. I have been doing this for 2 days now and you wouldn't believe the difference! I have noticed the difference in this little time frame. Thank goodness as he expected it would take up to 4 weeks to heal!
I had been using peroxide to prevent infection but obviously it didn't work

!
Thanks for your advice though, and if I have a setback I'll try it out!

Nancy

Amber on 2/22/99 at 00:00 (005005)

Hi Nancy. I had surgery on my right foot about a year ago and from that experience, I would advise your doctor to have another look at it to make sure there is no possibility of infection. If everything seems to be okay, I highly reccommend using Vitamin E ointment on your incision. Not the cosmetic type of vitamin E for your face etc. but the kind that you find in the first aid department of your pharmacy. It is wonderful in speeding up the healing process and helps to make the scar almost invisible after a short time. It really is terrific stuff!

Nancy on 2/25/99 at 00:00 (005072)

Thanks Amber;

Actually, I saw my Doctor the other day and sure enough, it is infected! What a setback! He recommended soaking in epsom salt and then applying polysporin cream covered with a bandaid. I have been doing this for 2 days now and you wouldn't believe the difference! I have noticed the difference in this little time frame. Thank goodness as he expected it would take up to 4 weeks to heal!
I had been using peroxide to prevent infection but obviously it didn't work

!
Thanks for your advice though, and if I have a setback I'll try it out!

Nancy