Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

After Surgery

Posted by Renee' on 2/26/99 at 00:00 (005074)

Hi all,
Have been reading all of the posts and was wondering about
people who have had the surgery, like myself, as to their
results. I had surgery on my left foot in September and had
the right foot scheduled for December when my left foot began
to hurt again I cancelled. I would just like to know how many
people had the surgery and was successful and if not did they
go back and have it re-done and the results of that. It's getting
to where it hurts to stand up more than an hour at a time and I'm
tempted to have a second surgery out of desperation but, would
love some imput.
Renee'

Re: After Surgery

alicia on 2/27/99 at 00:00 (005107)

Go back to the heelspurs home page and go to the pf surveys. They give you some #s on how many people have tried surgery and other alternatives and what kind of success they had with them.

DaNita on 2/27/99 at 00:00 (005111)

I have had 2 surgeries for the heel spurs and a tarsnel tunnel, I have continue to get worse. After my first surgery the doctor suggested the tarsnel tunnel release, it only made things worse. Then they told me to have the stiner stripping which would remove the whole bone spur and release everything across my foot. The doctor said she couldn't see how I could get any worse. Well It did and I am practally disabled because of it.I can only stand for VERY short periods (15 min). This has changed my whole life. I would think long and hard before you decide on a second surgery. Some people have good results I was not that Lucky.
Good Luck,
DaNita

eileen on 2/28/99 at 00:00 (005120)

hi , I had a epf in sept 1997 on my left foot with partial relief, I too was schelduled to have the right foot done but cancelled this, for 2 reasons. #1 the first surgery did not give complete relief and the right foot seemed better with rest since I was off my feet recovering from surgery on the left. I continue to have mild pain in the left heel , definetly not as bad as before surgery. I still cannot walk more than a 1/2 mile on the track without discomfort. But I am able to walk a mall without pain and do all my errands and such 99.9% pain free most days. I continue to take antiinflamatory meds for comfort. I stop them but the pain and tightness returns quickly. I still stretch daily. I think the one thing that keeps me almost pain free is the change in my lifestyle. I changed jobs from one of constant walking and on my feet, to a sitting position and I only walk malls, no 3-5 miles walks for me anymore. It worth the change to be almost pain free. I continue to wear birks in the hours and athletic shoes and orthotic out. I would say the surgery took the edge off the pain but not much more, and if I increased my activity I would have severe pain in a very short period of time. good luck in you quest to be pain free. eileen

alicia on 2/27/99 at 00:00 (005107)

Go back to the heelspurs home page and go to the pf surveys. They give you some #s on how many people have tried surgery and other alternatives and what kind of success they had with them.

DaNita on 2/27/99 at 00:00 (005111)

I have had 2 surgeries for the heel spurs and a tarsnel tunnel, I have continue to get worse. After my first surgery the doctor suggested the tarsnel tunnel release, it only made things worse. Then they told me to have the stiner stripping which would remove the whole bone spur and release everything across my foot. The doctor said she couldn't see how I could get any worse. Well It did and I am practally disabled because of it.I can only stand for VERY short periods (15 min). This has changed my whole life. I would think long and hard before you decide on a second surgery. Some people have good results I was not that Lucky.
Good Luck,
DaNita

eileen on 2/28/99 at 00:00 (005120)

hi , I had a epf in sept 1997 on my left foot with partial relief, I too was schelduled to have the right foot done but cancelled this, for 2 reasons. #1 the first surgery did not give complete relief and the right foot seemed better with rest since I was off my feet recovering from surgery on the left. I continue to have mild pain in the left heel , definetly not as bad as before surgery. I still cannot walk more than a 1/2 mile on the track without discomfort. But I am able to walk a mall without pain and do all my errands and such 99.9% pain free most days. I continue to take antiinflamatory meds for comfort. I stop them but the pain and tightness returns quickly. I still stretch daily. I think the one thing that keeps me almost pain free is the change in my lifestyle. I changed jobs from one of constant walking and on my feet, to a sitting position and I only walk malls, no 3-5 miles walks for me anymore. It worth the change to be almost pain free. I continue to wear birks in the hours and athletic shoes and orthotic out. I would say the surgery took the edge off the pain but not much more, and if I increased my activity I would have severe pain in a very short period of time. good luck in you quest to be pain free. eileen